Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

JackL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 120 Horn button Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My '37 120 has the optional banjo steering wheel. I need to remove the horn button to check the tightness of the steering wheel retaining nut. The horn works as it should. The horn button can be rotated easily within limits.It moves easily about 3/16" either way, and comes to a hard stop. When I push down on it, it goes down easily and comes to a hard stop. There is no indication of binding or friction, either rotating or pushing down.

Posted on: 5/15 7:37
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 120 Horn button Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I did this PDF of my personal issue with horn button removal. Turns out that it was glued on by what had been foam rubber at one time. Yours may be able to rotate CCW 1/4 turn without the full treatment, if not this worked well.
Good luck,
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf 1937 Packard 120 Horn Button Removal.pdf Size: 238.92 KB; Hits: 25

Posted on: 5/15 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Mine moves freely, but will only turn about 3/16" before hitting a stop. It works fine, and depresses easily with no sticking or binding. When it stops turning in either direction, it feels like it is reaching the limit of travel, not binding. I think the black substance you found under your horn button was once foam rubber. I've seen it turn to a thick gummy liquid or even into a hard substance like hard black plastic.
It may be that I need a way to lift up on my horn button while turning it to the left, like a suction cup. My steering wheel is the banjo "European style", but the horn button looks exactly like yours. Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 5/15 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
There is no "Stop" other than debris, you will need to turn it further CCW to disengage the 4 bayonet mount clips on the bottom of the button. The interior spring will push it up and off once the clips clear their 4 seats on the metal centre ring. They are 4 simple prongs in the formed metal ring otherwise the ring is smooth, no other "Stop" exists.
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/15 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It feels like a stop. If it's debris, it's very hard. I'm going to try blowing compressed air behind the button. It turns freely, but only a small fraction of a turn, so something is out of order.

Posted on: 5/15 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I agree, that stuff behind mine was like hard tar. It had to literally be chipped off the horn ring.
The air is a good idea, I wonder if some penetrating oil shot in with the tube attached around the circumference of the horn ring will help soften whatever is back there too? It will not bother the Bakelite horn button at all. Make sure the battery is disconnected or it will be a noisy procedure!!
Good luck,
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/15 14:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved