Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 200

wgb1956, flackmaster, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield Washer Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
A little TLC and my washer pump works great!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/9 13:05
 Top  Print   
Hug (1)

Re: Windshield Washer Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good show! Did you luck out and have pliable rubber seals you were able to reuse or did you make or find rebuild pieces for that style washer? Some Cadillac vendors have kits for the later Trico washers with the co-ordinator lids but not sure about that earlier style. Maybe the same size pistons though. Seem to remember at one time Tucson Packards also offering the later repair kits but maybe not the case now as they only mention various lids or assy pieces on their website.

Posted on: 6/9 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Good show! Did you luck out and have pliable rubber seals you were able to reuse or did you make or find rebuild pieces for that style washer? Some Cadillac vendors have kits for the later Trico washers with the co-ordinator lids but not sure about that earlier style. Maybe the same size pistons though. Seem to remember at one time Tucson Packards also offering the later repair kits but maybe not the case now as they only mention various lids or assy pieces on their website.

It was a fun little project and always good to get something working! The seals were still pretty pliable and the one for the fluid end had no issues, but the vacuum end wasn't quite sealing. I clamped it overnight (picture) to spread the seal a bit. Not sure it is will shrink back or not, time will tell. I massaged some Gummi Pflege into both the seals, so hopefully that helps. One other issue was one of the rivets on the fluid end was broke so not sealing the two parts together, but I managed to get a pop rivet in there and that solved that problem. Replacing the hose from the pump to the lid was necessary as well. The suction end of the pump has been cut off, not sure what it's supposed to look like, but I fashioned a little screen for it.

I think I'll look for a rebuild kit for the washer and my wiper motor just to get them working a bit better. The switching valve on top of the motor is a bit leaky, so that's not helping.

Posted on: 6/9 14:51
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I may have spoken too soon. McVey's and Cadillac Parts Ltd used to have the washer repair kits as Kev used in his How to Repair article but both now seem to have only jars etc. Perhaps washer repair kits are another NLA item. As to the motor kit, suspect about all you will find might be something on ebay with old dry parts and probably not for any motors Packard used. For a long time now Ficken Wiper Service has been the only source for motor repair and they don't sell kits.

Posted on: 6/9 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved