Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

C engine?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
I was trying to get this 288 to fire off after sitting for over 50 years. Turned the engine by hand for a bit, then with the starter, then compression tested and found all were under 90 psi. Put some oil in the cylinders and had 2 come up to 90-95 psi but could only get a few coughs from the engine while the rest were still low on compression. I plan on pulling the head and pan and taking the pistons out to check the rings and clean them up. I am looking for a new set of rings and may have found a NOS set but they state they are for a "C" engine. Could someone point me on how to identify a C engine?

Posted on: 6/19 10:19
 Top  Print   

Re: C engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Could someone point me on how to identify a C engine?

There is a C used as a suffix to the engine number stamped on the block and that C indicates a different piston and ring combo was used in that engine from those spec'd or installed when the engine was introduced. If your engine number is not followed by the C the rings you found may not work. Here are the details of the C change. There may be other letters as suffixes used in combination with the C. There were other changes to those engines and here is a chart showing those major changes. The other suffixes usually had a service bulletin or article issued detailing what was different.

In addition to suffix letters, there may be symbols such as stars or hashmarks etc used before or after the engine number. Those often indicate a change somewhere else in the car that is different than what was originally built or spec'd. Trying to remember the meaning of a suffix, symbol, or varied colors of dabs of paint here and there must have truly tested the memory of a Packard mechanic.

As far as the low compression issue don't forget the valves. Rusty and sticking valve stems is a common problem after a long sit and those engines also needed a periodic valve grind as miles accumulated. Be very careful of the gas used while you try to start the engine. If you are using old stale gasoline that might have been in the tank or lines, a few minutes of engine running on that old deteriorated gas and additives deposits a substance on the valve stems. Turning the engine off and letting it cool down and sit for a time has been known to stick the valves so completely it took major disassembly and brute force to free them.

Posted on: 6/19 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
These changes seem to have happened mid year of 48, mine is a 49 so I think it should be after the change took place?

Posted on: 6/19 13:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
And I filled the float bowl with fresh fuel and used starting fluid for that little extra kick. I was going to look at the valve seats while I had the head off, already there anyways.

Posted on: 6/19 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

dhart1977 wrote:
These changes seem to have happened mid year of 48, mine is a 49 so I think it should be after the change took place?

Not necessarily. You will need to check the engine number because as was done in some previous years, the 22nd series spanned more than one model year. 22nd production lasted from the 48 introduction in late 47 until mid 49 when the 23rd series arrived. Renumbering was common then and a lot of new and unsold but identical 48 cars were issued new vehicle numbers and ID plates by the factory so they could be sold as 49s. Same happened with the 23rd series so many of those unsold but identical 49 cars could be sold as 50s. In 51 with the 24th series Packard finally joined the rest of the industry and started making a series only be in production for one model year.

Posted on: 6/19 13:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Once you're in there, you may as well check and clean everything you can easily access. Even if you don't replace anything, at least you know what shape your engine is in. If you're pulling pistons a new set of rings are pretty inexpensive.

Posted on: 6/19 13:57
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
Mine shows "CE" so it has the new pistons and the updated camshaft it seems. Also the engine number looks to be a 48 code so this had to be really late year 48 which would confirm the vin.

Posted on: 6/19 19:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
Do you know of a source for these rings?

Posted on: 6/19 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

dhart1977 wrote:
Do you know of a source for these rings?

Not sure, I got rings from Kanter for the 327 in my 53 Cavalier.

Posted on: 6/19 23:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dhart1977
See User information
I looked them up and they had almost nothing for my 49, on to ebay I guess.

Posted on: 6/20 7:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved