Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing talk time
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I have my 327 set at the factory recommended 6 degrees. Is there any reason to play with it? Time woth a light, or time with a vacuum gauge? Just curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 22:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing talk time
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can't hurt to run it and check it with a timing light.

Posted on: Today 7:37
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The distributor needs to be in good condition with vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms working as they should. The ignition point setting should be adjusted to specification before setting the initial timing. The idle speed should be set to specification. The factory initial timing spec is best. An exception might be if the car has a worn timing chain. In that case setting the initial timing a couple of degrees advanced over the factory spec might be helpful. In some cases where the timing mark is on the harmonic balancer, the outer part of the balancer where the timing marks are may have slipped from its original position on the balancer hub. In that case, new timing marks would be needed to show the correct TDC, and the harmonic balancer would likely need replacement or rebuilding.

Posted on: Today 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Can't hurt to run it and check it with a timing light.

That picture is taken with the car running and my timing light. I had to take a few pictures to get my timing right!

Posted on: Today 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
The distributor needs to be in good condition with vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms working as they should. The ignition point setting should be adjusted to specification before setting the initial timing. The idle speed should be set to specification. The factory initial timing spec is best. An exception might be if the car has a worn timing chain. In that case setting the initial timing a couple of degrees advanced over the factory spec might be helpful. In some cases where the timing mark is on the harmonic balancer, the outer part of the balancer where the timing marks are may have slipped from its original position on the balancer hub. In that case, new timing marks would be needed to show the correct TDC, and the harmonic balancer would likely need replacement or rebuilding.

Thanks TxGoat

I rebuilt the distributor last year, the top bushing was pretty bad. I think people forget about that grease cup on the distributor. Mechanical weights are in good condition and put a rebuilt vacuum advance on this spring.

I don't have any reason to think the timing chain may be worn or the that the balancer has slipped, but might double check to make sure that TDC is actually TDC.

It's not that my car isn't running well, but always looking, listening and checking.

Posted on: Today 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd check TDC and the point gap. If the TDC mark is correct, I'd set the initial timing at the factory spec.

Posted on: Today 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I'd check TDC and the point gap. If the TDC mark is correct, I'd set the initial timing at the factory spec.

👍🏻 Agreed

I think if things do not work properly when set to factory specs it's because there is some other issue that needs to be corrected.

Posted on: Today 14:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved