Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 210

jsa03781, bkazmer, Kiwi Lad, FirstEliminator, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1932- 901: hot running, overheating: advice sought.
Just popping in
Just popping in

tuskman
See User information
I recently acquired a 1932 Packard 901 Std. Eight. (320 cid). The previous owner advised that recently, the car would run hot in hot weather. My first ride was on a 91 degree humid day. I took a 10-12 mile ride at moderate cruising speed (35-45 mph). The temp gauge came up to approximately the ¾ level (near the top of the safe zone). It stayed there as long as the car was in motion. Upon stopping at a stop sign or slowing down and stopping pulling into the garage, the temp gauge rose rapidly into almost the overheat zone. I turned it right off and measured it with my laser thermometer. The hood handle was almost too hot to touch (130 degrees F). The hottest area was the front of the head at 215 degrees. The block was a bit cooler at 195-200, and the radiator and hoses were in the 190’s. My understanding is there is no thermostat in the engine only on the radiator to control the opening of the shutters. The shutters are now immobile or unhooked and are always in the full open position. What would be the normal operating temperature of this engine. Any ideas as to why it is running hot? Based on the fact it cools off some when in motion tells me the water pump is functioning to move the coolant through the radiator. Thinking maybe I need a chemical flush and then a backflush with fresh water. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Could it be anything else other than a partial blockage in the engine or radiator? This is my first Packard of this (or any) vintage. Thank you!

Posted on: Today 13:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved