Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

Zach Dillinger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1932- 901: hot running, overheating: advice sought.
Just popping in
Just popping in

tuskman
See User information
I recently acquired a 1932 Packard 901 Std. Eight. (320 cid). The previous owner advised that recently, the car would run hot in hot weather. My first ride was on a 91 degree humid day. I took a 10-12 mile ride at moderate cruising speed (35-45 mph). The temp gauge came up to approximately the ¾ level (near the top of the safe zone). It stayed there as long as the car was in motion. Upon stopping at a stop sign or slowing down and stopping pulling into the garage, the temp gauge rose rapidly into almost the overheat zone. I turned it right off and measured it with my laser thermometer. The hood handle was almost too hot to touch (130 degrees F). The hottest area was the front of the head at 215 degrees. The block was a bit cooler at 195-200, and the radiator and hoses were in the 190’s. My understanding is there is no thermostat in the engine only on the radiator to control the opening of the shutters. The shutters are now immobile or unhooked and are always in the full open position. What would be the normal operating temperature of this engine. Any ideas as to why it is running hot? Based on the fact it cools off some when in motion tells me the water pump is functioning to move the coolant through the radiator. Thinking maybe I need a chemical flush and then a backflush with fresh water. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Could it be anything else other than a partial blockage in the engine or radiator? This is my first Packard of this (or any) vintage. Thank you!

Posted on: Yesterday 13:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1932- 901: hot running, overheating: advice sought.
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You probably have a partly clogged radiator. Dirt, rust, scale, and greasy deposits from old coolant are commonly found in old cooling systems. You may be able to clean it enough to get by without removing it.
Other things to check are the water pump, which can leak water out or air in, or both. The fan belt needs to be clean and properly tightened, but not too tight. It's important for the air passages in the radiator to be free of dust, bugs, lint, etc. Improper engine timing can contribute to overheating.
Other than the tendency to run hot, how does the car perform?

Posted on: Yesterday 18:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tuskman
See User information
Thanks for the input. Have not checked timing yet. Only had the car a few days. Was waiting for cooler weather to run it again. Runs OK but i suspect it needs tuning and perhaps a carb rebuild. Doesn't seem particularly responsive. Seems to backfire or burb when you let off the gas while cruising along.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
My 901 runs at 165 degrees up to about 85 degrees outside temp. If I run it above 85 or so it may go to 180 but no higher. Shutters are blocked open as I live in SC. You might check timing first if you are not having smooth operation on acceleration. Also plugs or plug wires. You could file the points and the rotor face and clean the contacts inside the distributor cap. My car runs smooth on acceleration even in 4th gear at low speed. These engines have a lot of low end torque but not a lot of rpm's so quick acceleration is not something you will experience. Cleaning the cooling system is always a good idea and a thread on Evapo Rust is currently active here. I know these cars well so PM me if needed.

Posted on: Today 7:46
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Gasoline that is not fresh can cause all sorts of problems with driveability.
It would be a good idea to see if someone in your area who is familiar with pre-WWII cars, and Packards like yours in particular, would be willing to look your car over, take a short ride in it with you, and discuss any issues you may be having.
*There is a lot of technical information for a wide range of Packard cars in this website's Information Archive.*

Posted on: Today 8:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved