Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

28Mack, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Engine Oil and Battery Selection
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fibonachu
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I can’t imagine a 6v Group 2 battery costing $300 unless they are reproduction Willard or something else that looks period correct. I buy mine at Napa for about $100 and they are more often than not in stock.

The rest of the advice is good but I would fill the cylinders rather than just putting in a few drops. Remember, the spark plug holes are over the values so a few drops there will just make the valves wet and do nothing for the rings. Fill with top end of the engine with oil, let it sit a couple days, crank by hand a quarter turn, refill and repeat for at least a week before blowing out the excess by cranking under power. (Cover the top with al old towel to minimize the mess!)

I will see if Napa can order me one here. They didn't have one on the shelf, so I went to the specialty battery shop. That is a much more reasonable price if they can.

That said, a group 34 12V from Walmart is almost $150.

I usually put an ounce or two of ATF in, but now that you mention the head/cylinder design, more does seem like a good option. Thanks.

And yes to the people who commented on the original question. The ask was never about switching the vehicle to 12V, it was hitting the starter once or twice at 12V as a test.

If I can get a 6V battery for ~$100, then that is definitely s no-brainer.

Posted on: Today 16:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Good luck, let us know how it goes! It will be exciting to get it fired up, and even more so if it's smooth and quiet!

Posted on: Today 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
You have side mirrors that are not on a car? Do they need a home?

Unfortunately the nice pair are for my own car so whatever I have left and available is in the Classified Ads of my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below. Sorry, didn’t mean to post a teaser!

Posted on: Today 18:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved