Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 113

humanpotatohybrid, Joe, 53 Cavalier, JohnCobb, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Motor getting Hot
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I have a '39 Six that runs very good but has started pushing the water out of the Radiator at road speeds. At a fast idle there are no bubbles in the water flow but when reeved up to 2-3000 the water immediately blows out. If I have the cap on it just blows around the cap. I had the radiator Rodded out and have pulled the freeze plugs and power washed the block internally, the motor temp runs about 180 until it get's low on coolant. I pulled the head and put on a new head gasket and it all seems to have been sealing. I'm at a loss
Thanks

Posted on: Today 16:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Motor getting Hot
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
If it's not overheating, which it doesn't sound like it is, then I would think there is communication somewhere and combustion pressure is getting into your cooling system.

Maybe a warped head? Maybe a crack in the block?

Maybe you can use an air compressor and pressure up one cylinder at time (on compression stroke) and see if you get any air in your cooling system? Just spitballing.

Hope it's something simple!

Posted on: Today 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Probably a bad head gasket. Or a cracked block, but let's hope for the best.

They have cheap chemical testers for exhaust gases in the coolant, but with symptoms this obvious, I would just start to dive in.

I would first re-torque your head bolts. Note any that are not at the correct torque, and by how much.

Posted on: Today 17:43
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Retorquing the head is a good suggestion. I had to retorque my head several times on my 327 after putting a new head gasket on to get it to spec. And it doesn't cost anything to retorque you head! Even if it doesn't cure it, but makes it better, you will at least know you're on the right track.

Posted on: Today 17:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved