Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 Packard 2/4 V12 door handles
Just popping in
Just popping in

68amxgopac
See User information
While opening the passenger door today and the outside handle came off in my hand !

Going to try and attach some pics , it looks like to me it has been buggered with before.
There is a threaded ring that looks to thread into the guts of the latch , worn down or broken threads and missing a set screw ?
Not even sure if this is correct for the car or someone muddled one to work.....

Any thoughts or opinions would be great - thnx

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 Packard 2/4 V12 door handles
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
Did yours have the escutcheon and the retention bracket under the escutcheon? It isnt in your photo (you may have left those out of the photo).

The snap ring holds the compressed spring which pushes back on the threaded collar and that pushes back to the main handle-stem assembly.

You should be able to attach the under retention bracket with two screws to the door...then the escutcheon + threaded collar + handle by threading the collar (which pulls the escutcheon and handle with it) in using an external spanner with a stud that goes into that hole in the threaded collar...the hole is a spanner stud grasping feature, not a hole for a set screw.

Its a bit finicky and a PIA (be careful not to scuff your paint job).

Take a close up photo of the collar threads so we can see if it is worn/broken off, etc...often happens and you need a new collar (several people will have one of those, especially at Hershey).

let me know if this explanation and photos confuses or clarifies.

Attach file:

jpg  441_6507857e68a16.jpg (16.56 KB)
226393_66d8d2266bc32.jpg 450X600 px

jpg  441_650785a70f79b.jpg (33.73 KB)
226393_66d8d239eea65.jpg 450X600 px

png  Packard door handle threaded collar fastening.png (65.46 KB)
226393_66d8d5cfc24b0.png 870X594 px

Posted on: Today 16:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved