Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 75

John Wogec, 2T300RE, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 1950 packard 288 engine just rebuilt now has water in the oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just to be sure, you're using a new head gasket, correct? They cannot be reused one torqued down. I always coat both sides of the gasket with aerosol Coppercoat too.

Posted on: Today 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I can only guess from here, but my guess is that you had a head gasket issue, perhaps related to a problem with a bolt too long, the gasket itself, or some flaw in the head or block that failed to seal.
Proper, 3-stage correct torquing in the proper sequence followed by proper re-torquing is essential.

Posted on: Today 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If your engine has head studs, it is essential that all rust or gasket debris be removed from around them, right up to the stud itself. In the case of bolts, they need to be in good condition and the bolt holes must be clean clear to the bottom of blind holes and sealer needs to be used on any bolts or stud threads that go into holes that reach the water jacket. Usually, at least some of them do.

Posted on: Today 12:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Slatewood
See User information
I did use a inspection camera / borescope in the water passages and in the intake and exhaust on the side of the block. They can be deceiving if you have not used one inside an engine. I have used them a lot at Caterpillar on engines and some what knew what to expect. What I saw most was the white residue from the block sealer and lots of areas with stalactites.

Posted on: Today 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Shouldn't be obstructions of any sort in the water passageways so was it boiled out and thoroughly flushed during the rebuild? This can be done only with the water distribution tube removed so as to not damage it from the strong chemicals used in such a dip which should have removed any stalactites.

As for the head torquing, I'm not sure how it's done on diesel engines but on a Packard and probably most other flat heads, it's done in a specific pattern from the center outward to each end. The manuals show the torquing chart for reference.

Posted on: Today 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
"If" Slatewood's problem was head gasket related, that would mean that the water jacket leaked to a head stud and down the head stud into the crankcase, but not into a cylinder as he didn't have any white smoke. While I'm sure it's possible, it just doesn't seem probable to me, and that something else was/is the problem.

At this point considering everything that's been reported I can only guess that there was a small leak in the block that is now sealed.

Slatewood, we'll be praying to the Packard god's that when you put it back together, everything is okay! I'm sure you don't want another round of this craziness! Time to get your car on the road!!!

Posted on: Today 15:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved