Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 235

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Setting Timing on a Packard Six
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Desire to check the timing on my '39 Packard Six. After finding no timing marks on the harmonic balancer, I discovered this thread -packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18466&forum=1 - that mentions the existence of a peephole, in the vicinity of the underside of the starter, to view the timing marks that are on the flywheel. Having more specific information about where this peephole is would be very helpful. I have found images on the internet that show a magnified view of the peephole/timing marks, but not the surrounding geography. Any amplifying info would be most appreciated.

Posted on: 9/19 17:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Setting Timing on a Packard Six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hard to see in this illustration but I believe the area circled in white is where the hole in question is located.

Click to see original Image in a new window

and an illustration of what you should see in the hole.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I believe several have fabricated a subtle pointer that could be mounted on the front of the engine similar to those on later cars and then transferred the minimal needed markings to the vibration damper accordingly.

Posted on: 9/19 19:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mr.D
See User information
Using the timing marks on the flywheel requires a few progects. Firrst, remove the flywheel cover and wirebrush the surface rust off of the flywheel timing marks. Then paint the metal pointer white so you can see it and paint the degree mark at 6 degrees BTDC. Jack up the front of the car and place jack stands.Remove the left front tire and inner fender. you will now be able to see the timing port under the starter. It is impossible to get a timing light in place and see the marks at a proper angle if you are just leaner over the fender. Or you can do it by using a vacuum gauge. Connect your vacuum gauge at the intake manifold and loosen your distributor slightly,your car should be reading around 20" of murcury at proer idle. record your initial reading. turn the distributorVERY slightly in one diretion, if the reading improes continue in that direction, if the reading gets worse you are going in the wrong direction. Continue in the right direction using very slight movements with a few minutes in between moveswhen you get to your best performance the needle will start to shake slightly, back it back until the needle settles. that will be you best pezrformance. My 1940 6 cylinder number is 19 I did extensive work over the winter last year and was able to fake in timing marks on the dampener pully with an arrow attacchded to one leg of the front motor mount, I only use it for getting close and then get the gauge back out for finall tuning. You can use the same method for tuning your carb. idle needle vave.

Posted on: 9/19 21:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Howard and Mr. D,
Thanks for the info, the picture of the engine showing the location of the peephole was quite amusing. A previous owner did install a pointer that leans over the harmonic balancer pulley, but there are no real timing marks, just what I first thought was a rock chip in the paint that seems to be in the vicinity of where a timing mark might be located. Guess I will use it as a reference until I install something better. Seems I read online about something called "timing tape" that can be installed on the outer surface of the balancer to use when setting the timing. Thanks as well for the tip on using a vacuum gauge to fine-tune the timing.

Posted on: 9/20 18:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mr.D
See User information
I did forget to add beware the distributor runs counter clockwise. After creplacing the water pump,water distrubution tube, Front motor mount rubbers,boiling out the Rad.and installing a new timing chain and gears along with other work, I have been driving my old 110 on some long cruises without fear or concerns off breakdowns or boil overs. Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 9/23 22:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved