Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Antique or special registration plate laws in other states
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Two thoughts:
1. I don't know that we have all the facts about this registration. A visit to the local Congressman may solve the problem quickly. You may be dealing with the same type of dolt who insisted that all vehicles have a vin number.

2. Some government official gets wind of one person driving their antique car to work every day and wants to change the law. That kind of thinking gave us the current ugly antique plate and changed the motto on our plates from "THE KEYSTONE STATE" to "You've got a friend in Pa."

I agree with John - if you see someone abusing the privilege then help put a stop to it. Once in a while is fine -- every day is flaunting it.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's interesting, there's no limit on the amount of driving you can do with an antique car with antique plates and registration in Kansas. Some insurance companies will put mileage limits on antique cars which screw your unlimited driving up, unless you know how to roll back a speedometer!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I'd never roll back an odometer. I'd never have to. There are 6 cars at this house. I drive 78 Ltd on thurs, 59 Edsel on fri, 62 Buick on sat, and 75 Tbird on sunday. My monday errands are done with 73 Buick. Each car, when driven, is used less than 15 miles per day. Until this year, I had cars with regular plates which have been sold.
in 2000, I bought a 78 Ltd with 19k miles from a junkyard for $500 and paid the taxes and registered it as classic to save on fees while keeping the car till I needed it. My other 78 Ltd got sold this year since it was getting high on miles so I went to register the classic one. The computers would not let it go through. I would have to rebuy my own car and pay taxes on what the state thinks it's worth($2500), and no guarantee that the title brand would be removed. After this fiasco, I sold the last regular plate car here.
Now my cars get driven instead of sitting all year. Previously, they only got around 50 miles a year because I do not drive unless I have to go somewhere. Either making money, shopping, pick something up or drop something off. If nothing has to be done then the cars do not move period.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

You can register any motor vehicle, regardless of age, with regular plates in PA, but they are then subject to the annual state safety inspection (and emission inspection for 1976 and newer cars).

However, registered antiques are also exempted from some modern lighting requirements, provided they are not driven between sunset and sunrise - a plus for some early cars not equipped wih sealbeam headlamps, turn signals, etc.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 21:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Chuck -

Know that, late in 1996, I purchased a low-mileage 1975 car in bone-stock near-showroom condition, but I had the paperwrk done to obtain a regular title because it was going straight into winter storage. In 1997, because it was too new to qualify as an antique, I applied for and received classic registration and title. When it finally reached the 25-year milestone, I applied for and received antique registration and title - with no problem.

Unless your vehicle is disqualifed for some reason that we can't see, it sounds like you are a victim of bureaucracy.

If so, take Randy's advice and pay a visit to your local congressman.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Brian-
Your suggestion works but that's the opposite direction I've been trying to go on both cars. Essentially, I'm trying to go backwards and not have the special status on title or tags, which you'd figure the "man" would be happy to do since they'd get their annual $ flowing again. Thanks anyway...

Posted on: 2009/8/10 2:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gee, that's completely opposite from what I thought you were trying to do.

I don't know anyone who ever tried to go from an antique or classic registration back to a regular plate, but you'd think it could be done without having to pay sales tax again.

Again, I think this is something you need to discuss with your local congressman; sometimes they can put a little spin on the ball and "git 'r done".

Posted on: 2009/8/10 7:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved