Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

camshaft specs
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
as im sitting here in the dorm room, bored to tears, i had a thought for the experts of the Packard V8s. Is there any difference in lift or duration between the 352 and 374 camshafts? I have two patricians that are set to be redone relatively origanilly, and i thought the third might make an interesting resto mod. Basically i was wondering if the bigger displacement engine had a different profile camshaft.

just thinking through the boredom.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 21:15
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Re: camshaft specs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
There is a 1955 cam and a 1956 cam. The 1956 352" and 374" have the same '56 cam.

If you're interested in a slightly warmer regrind, I have a couple of choices available.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/8/11 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
so what about a 1956 cam in a 55 engine? It would be a 55 engine that would be modified.

Thanks for the info! like i said, this is a way back burner project, but i am getting some ideas!

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:28
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Any V8 cam will interchange into any V8 engine. (Speaking of Packard V8's and their different sizes, of course. Not meaning a Ford cam will fit in a Chevy, etc.)

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i figured it would, my question was if their were any differences, for example would a 56 374 change the performance of a 55 352. like if the 56 cam had a bigger lift and/ or duration because of the larger displacement.

again, thanks.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:55
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have run computer simulations on all Packard V-8 camshafts. Near as I can tell, the 1956 cam was changed because the intake valve size was increased. I do not think there is a significant difference to be had by swapping any camshafts. In Chevies and Pontiacs (and others), there would be, of course if one used one of their HiPerf grinds.

If one is interested in hot rodding a Packard V-8, then send the original cam to a reputable cam grinder. Within reason, the cam can be reground without messing up the valve train geometry. That is what I did on my Panther 374. Somewhere between 20 and 50HP should be the increase, the former being more streetable and the latter requiring a manual trans and more gear as one would expect.

Or get a regrind from Jack Vines if you do not have the cam grinder connections.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The '55 cam has noticeably better low end torque. The '56 cam has noticeably better top end.

Intake valve timing
1955 250 degrees and .375" lift
1956 256 degrees and .398" lift

Exhaust valve timing
1955 250 degrees and .375" lift
1956 252 degrees and .388" lift

FWIW, I have a couple of custom reground cams with a bit more duration I'll sell for $50 plus your good core cam. I also have a torque grind which will work well in a stock Packard sedan application also for $50 plus your good core cam.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved