Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How come Packard didn't make an OHV straight 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The ohv is suitable primarily for very over square engines. THeir short stroke, contrary to popular belief, is very power robbing. The bigger the piston the more room there is allowed for larger valves and the ohv does accomodate better flow. So the increased compression ratio gained at the ohv head and flow makes up for only a portion of the power loss due to the short stroke.

The over square engine is a gimmick that was thrust into motion mostly during the mid 50's due to lowering hood and roof lines of the car (CHEAPER to make). Can anyone imagine how tall the Packard Streight would be if it had an OHV with same block as the Flat head???????? I doubt that slanting it over would do much good. ThIS is why the MoPar 'slant six' was slanted in '58. Lower hood and top required a lower engine height.

Horse power is a function of TWO things, exactly two things and only two things. They are:
Pressure on the piston crown and piston speed.
The short stroke engine is a real slug in terms of piston speed. The OHV makes up for only a portion of it by allowing for a tighter chamber thus higher CR.

It was trade off during the HP revolution of 1955. Eng'ring traded off engine size and weight for a lower profile engine with more CR to accomodate lower profile styling to come in 58 and 59. BUT, GAVE UP POTENTIAL power increase by dropping the long stroke .

Posted on: 2008/6/18 23:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Pre-war OHV engines:

Chevy six
Nash six and (possibly) eight
Duesenberg J engine, DHOC, 4 valves/cylinder
Stutz straight 8
Cadillac V-16 and V-12, 1930-'37
Buick straight 8

there's a little starter list, I know there are more.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 5:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, There have been a number of very well researched articles written over the years about whether Packard made good engines and why Packard stuck with the side valve engine. The main reasons which I have noted is that side valve engines tend to be quieter, have a greater engine torque at lower revs, have a lower Octane requirement due to increased intake valve turbulence over OHV engines, and have a higher BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) in older low compression engines. By way of illustration there was a much publicised match race in about 1930 between a straight eight OHV Stutz and a side valve Lycoming (Auburn?) The Auburn won the match race by a slim margin 102 Vs 101 MPH, after which they removed the muffler from the Stutz and got it to 103 MPH. I can dig out the exact details if you need them. In my humble and always ready to be corrected opinion, it illustrates that in in the days pre hemi heads/ squish chambers/ fuel injection etc, there was not a lot of difference in actual performance between similar sized OHV and SV engines.
There are also some interesting facts about why the US stayed with 6 Volt electrics for so long. Even Rolls Royce went to 6 Volt electrical systems in the US. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/6/19 6:16
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"There are also some interesting facts about why the US stayed with 6 Volt electrics for so long."

HUH???? Did some other country convert to 12v prior to 1955????

Posted on: 2008/6/19 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
To make everyone happy lets not forget the F head as used by early Hudson and Willys (used till 1960) which will make both sides of the subject happy I believe also used in England by RR and Rover.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I think PI and PII Rolls Royce cars were 12V.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 12:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

49packard wrote:
In the 1948 salesman's handbook....It states that the Valve in block configuration was a tried an true technology and it used 100 fewer parts.

Interesting thing about that if you look at the 1954 Salesman's Book, they still use that same exact line.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 12:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Peter: It is not very surprising that the Auburn won the match race against the Stutz.

The Auburn had about a 15 horsepower advantage over the Stutz SV16. The Auburn had at minimum a 600 lbs weight advantage over the Stutz. The heaviest Auburn produced in 1930 came in at 3900 lbs. The Stutz depending upon coach work had a weight range of 4595 lbs to 5210 lbs. The axle ratios in both automobiles would have a great deal to do with the top speed of both cars.

Since I am classic car fan would it be possible to post a copy of the article. Lycoming automotive engines were produced in my home town of Williamsport, Penna. Lycoming also produced one of the greatest engines of the 1930's the Duesenberg straight eight.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/6/19 18:29
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
ok all you smarties pants, when did briggs&stratton go OHV?

Posted on: 2008/6/19 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
The Vangaurd engine is ohv.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 19:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved