Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Info on spark pluge
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Packard V8,

LOL! The Champion situation is sad. My dad used their plugs for years as a mechanic and they were always great.

Then, something bad happened. We don't need to go into that here, though.

I'd like to hear more on experiences with Heat Ranges and various plugs in the straight 8 engines. Power, gas mileage, and fouling are the three most valuable things to know about.

I'm putting in my R45 plugs (with the rings) as soon as it stops raining (it'll probably be snowing by then) and post what happens. I figger the last owner bought two sets of them because he was happy with how they worked.

I have no idea how to tell if my "wiring" is Resistor or not, though.

BTW, I'll use the rings! (The last owner did not, and I had one plug creep loose on it since I had it.)

Posted on: 2014/6/28 17:17
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
what is wrong with living in 1965?

Posted on: 2014/6/28 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
what is wrong with living in 1965?

(Nothing, except I wouldn't have my driver's license for another 8 years.)

Just for fun, I found an online X-reference for spark plugs and got the cross for the ONLY plug listed in the Shop Manual for my '54 Clipper 327: Champion J8

At the top of the list was AC Delco 45

So, other than "R" or no "R" I guess I'll quit worrying about it and put the same kind of plug in as the ones that were there when I bought it.

Notice, the cross ref wasn't for an "R" 45, so I guess the J8 was not a resistor type plug?
Now, how do I tell again if I've got "resistor" wiring???

(Own Dyneto seemed to have some expertise on this, but nothing on identifying the wiring as resistor or non-resistor)

The suggested Gap in the shop manual is .023-.028. Should I shoot for the wider or narrower initial gap, or doesn't it make much difference?

My seat-of-the-pants rule of thumb is to set for narrowest initially, as the gap will naturally tend to widen (unless there's fouling) as the plug is used.

I don't know if this X-ref will kindle warmth in anyone's heart, but here's a link:

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!

Others on this fine site probably have much more expertise when it comes to spark plugs for Packards.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 23:55
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved