Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Senior 8 - Lack of Performance
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Made some progress....

Flow from the fuel pump looked good. Filled a coffee can about ? way cranking for 30 seconds.

Vacuum test was good, held 20 in Hg steady at idle, cold and hot.

Back pressure test on the exhaust was good, showed 0.5 - 1.0 psi at all speeds, cold and hot.

Compression test hot was good, first column cold numbers.

90 105
95 105
95 105
100 110
90 110
95 105
100 110
100 110

In addition to the loss of performance I was having a hard time starting it. Would just crank and crank. When I checked the carburetor fuel level by removing the drain screw on the bottom of the DL carburetor the first time, to install a tool I made, there was no fuel in the carburetor.

I've been usually checking the engine running, but this time I shut it off to do the hot compression test. This is when I noticed fuel dripping from the main jet adjusting needle. It was only about a drop every four seconds. When the engine was running I didn't see a leak.

Tightening the packing nut around the needle valve didn't help so I pulled the assembly out. This carburetor was supposed to have been rebuilt by an expert. There was no sealant on the threads holding the assembly in the carburetor and there wasn't enough packing inside around the needle valve. Even though the packing nut was snug it never forced the packing against the needle valve to form a seal.

Put everything back together and started it up. It ran smoother and I was able to get better adjustment of the idle. Will road test it when I get time.

I believe the leak around the needle valve was allowing fuel to drain out of the carburetor when it sat, causing the hard starting problem. When the engine started there was enough vacuum to pull air thru the leak. The leak wasn't enough to be noticed at idle or low speeds, but it leaned the mixture out enough at higher speeds to cause a lack of performance.

Thanks again for the comments / suggestions.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.94 KB)
1584_542872bc608f2.jpg 491X1024 px

jpg  (110.74 KB)
1584_542872c93b1a1.jpg 621X1041 px

jpg  (116.12 KB)
1584_542872de84170.jpg 768X918 px

Posted on: 2014/9/28 15:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved