Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Restoration Cost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Without pictures, and doing most yourself, I'd say you're in the ball park to get it to the road but could be 30-100+% above depending on interior and chrome and some other factors. Alot depends on the time frame. Can you wait or want it bad now.
So before you go down that path and fork over, think long and hard! You won't have that luxury again once it commences.
The body/paint work is not that difficult but time consuming and requires a good eye, tools and/or access to services, and knowledge. Without those, it'll reflect it or ruin something requiring a do over.
Be prepared to either own it a long time or take a hit to the wallet at sell time. Sometimes wants are not what they're cracked up to be and turn into nightmares for rushers, faint of heart, or weak of mind.
The market does not support the increasing cost of restoration. You're better off paying for one a good one at auction but preservation suffers that way.
"Fell into your lap" sounds like a "moment of weakness", but we all have those.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 10:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
All of the suggestions and recommendations have been excellent.

One might consider such a restoration as "a project to keep the mind occupied." I certainly see my ongoing restoration as such. Too many friends and colleagues have been picked off by the Grim Reaper--why?--no projects!!!

Joining as many organizations of like minded individuals puts one in contact with all sorts of restoration experiences that can help you with your restoration. Some of my Packard club friends have been members and owners for decades. I have certainly benefited from their experiences and knowledge of Packards. Their experiences have and continue to save me money as I prepare to restore my Packard.

In the area of research, I read in Hemmings of one case in which the car owner bought his paint for his car, did all of the prep himself, and then took his paint to a paint shop, paid their cost, but had them use his paint. He claimed it was inexpensive. This forum offers excellent examples of restoration tips with forum members ready to help immediately. The detail of information is astounding. Don't just read about your Packard model--read as many others in the forum as possible. You will not regret the effort.

In my case, I have been gathering parts, buying the tools necessary, reading all of the forums, taking notes, and preparing my Mickey Rooney size garage for the restoration of my 1949 Standard 8 Packard. Once started, I will not have to stop because I have not prepared in advance. I don't intend to make restoration a chore, but a constructive challenge.

Sure, I know the cost of restoration must be considered, but at a certain age the restoration of my Packard is just as important as driving it after completion of the restoration. As for the Grim Reaper, should he ride by my garage I intend to run him over or at least side swipe him in my restored Packard!!!

Zougeride
Exotic Tomball, Texas

Posted on: 2015/1/1 12:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Fullingim
See User information
For me it is far more about the project than value of the car. The car is valuable to me, what others think.."eh". Of course I could buy a decent car for 30k but anyone can do that and what the hell am I supposed to do watch "Wheel of Fortune" all day. I don't think so.

I turned 57 last summer, the kids are grown (although one is still hanging around the house) and the act of restoring (for lack of a better word)an old Packard has been on my agenda for decades but life seems to get in the way. Wife seemed to think we should by a house and new cars. Well now it's my time and I can think of nothing I would rather do. As for time spent on the car well it takes what it takes. I really want to say that I did everything I could do myself. I've got a '69 MK3 Spitfire that keeps me entertained for the moment good practice I hope.

I was thinking about 2000 hours should be in the ball park. A couple of hours a day spread over 4 or 5 years should do the trick and if I croak in the process, guess I can't control that.

I do have a bit of financial planning to do though so I was hoping to get within 10k one way or the other of guesstimating the cost.

Thanks everyone, you folks are great.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 17:27
Life long dream fulfilled! Now if I only had about 20K to make it like I want it.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved