Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

56Clippers, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Gas tank sender gasket. material
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The float that's available from Ford is your standard size float, and as long as the arm doesn't go into the float but around it, it should work.

As for ethanol being a "junk science", I have to disagree. Ethanol is really great stuff, and most people's interpretation of it is negative, because they don't understand it. I suggest you all do some reading on it if you want the straight scoop. The myths about it taking more energy to make it than it produces is mere BS. IMHO, ANYTHING that gets us off the import oil teat is good, even if it takes some corn lobbyists to get it done. I personally would rather give my money to a Nebraska farmer than an Arab terrorist. That's just my personal opinion, others may do as they will.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Turbo said that Canada is backward technologically.

Hmmm..wonder what planet that Canada was on, or when Turbo last visited it.

The Canada I just visited ( the one here on Planet Earth ) is pretty damn advanced with some pretty nice folk.

I sure hope our fellow Americans are as hospitible to visiting Canadians, as the Canadians I meet are to me when I am a guest in their country.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:34
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
ANYTHING that gets us off the import oil teat is good, even if it takes some corn lobbyists to get it done. I personally would rather give my money to a Nebraska farmer than an Arab terrorist. That's just my personal opinion, others may do as they will.

Eric,I don't want to get off topic here but I have done plenty of reading on the ethanol issue. In Canada we have enough fossil fuel oil to keep us going for several centuries but could easily produce ethanol in the this county to meet our domestic needs and hardly notice. Canada is still the USA's biggest energy supplier. I understand the US concern about foreign oil (the US has no problem buying ours) but I don't know of any Arab terrorists who sell it? I used ethanol in my motorhome on my trip through the western states including Nebraska and found that the mileage of the motorhome decreased by about 10% but maybe the newer vehicles don't have this problem. The people all along the way were very friendly and we had a wonderful trip. It is nice to have you as neighbours.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pete, I don't know whether or not Eric has travelled outside the US much but I do think he comment was made in jest and I took it that way so no offense was taken. I like the USA and have been to over 40 states and love the country but would never consider living there.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, my post was in jest. Personally, I love Canada, but I'm still confused on how people can stand to live in such a cold climate!

And as the cold climate subject is up, ethanol in Canada won't happen, as it couldn't be more than 50%, as all the cars won't start unless you add a heater to the fuel line.

But Canada's better than Arizona, too "hot and windy" there for me.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll stay out of the international fray, but back for a moment to the statement made earlier than ethanol attacks cork, I was reminded today that one of the better arguments against that is the use of corks in wine and even some cognac bottles.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
From the Carburetor Shop website: Quote:
CORK FLOATS

Many of the less expensive carburetors from the beginning up through about 1940 were originally equipped with floats made from cork. Most of the floats were coated with orange shellac, and then the finish was baked, creating a finish fairly impervious to the gasoline of the day. A few of the manufacturers did not coat their floats, and used a cork material that seemed to work fairly well with the gasoline then being sold.

The gasoline of today cuts orange shellac like a hot knife in butter, and also will permeate the natural cork material!

This poses a severe problem for the restorer. It is not economically feasible to attempt to mass produce brass floats to replace the cork floats. Also, the company producing the poly-nitrofill foam floats has been most un-cooperative unless orders of very large magnitude are placed with them. We are currently machining float pontoons from this substance, to be used with the original float arm.

For those who are independently wealthy, individual brass floats can be made. This also may be a solution for a retired machinist with access to a good machine shop. This is a very time-intensive remedy, expensive if one must pay for the time.

For the rest of us, it becomes imperative to attempt to use a replacement cork (or foam) float, and seal the cork (or foam) against the permeation of the gasoline. The procedure we at The Carburetor Shop are currently using is as follows;

(A) Detach the original brass arm from the original cork float.

(B) Clean the arm (we use a glass beading machine)

(C) Attach the arm to the polynitraphyl pontoon included with this kit.

(D) Submerge the pontoon, and the portion of the arm in direct contact with the pontoon into a product called 'POR-15'. This product is available from POR-15, Inc, P.O. Box 1235, Morristown, NJ 07962. They have a website at www.por15.com. READ THE DIRECTIONS. ACCORDING TO POR15, ONCE THEIR PRODUCT DRYS, YOU MUST WEAR OFF ANY YOU SPILL ON YOU! I BELIEVE IT!

(E) Remove the float from the liquid and slowly rotate to eliminate any bubbles.

(F) Suspend the float with a suitable hanger, and allow to air dry for 72 hours prior to use.

This procedure seems to be working with the current mixture of gasoline.

If anyone comes up with a better procedure, we would certainly wish to be informed!!!

Take this info as you see fit.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Yes, my post was in jest. Personally, I love Canada, but I'm still confused on how people can stand to live in such a cold climate!

Eric, Canada is not necessarily a cold climate. Southern British Columbia and parts of Vancouver Island have very mild winters and many Canadians winter there. I grew up in Windsor Ontario which is south of Detroit and on the latitude of northern California. Summers are very hot and humid and winters are quite mild . After high school I chose to live in the north and the arctic and couldn't wait to get out of the south partly because I enjoy winter and less sparsely settled country. I was quite surprised when I was in Utah and Wyoming in September and how cold it was which due to elevation was much cooler than here on the shores of Lake Superior at that time of year. Minus -50 isn't all that bad if you dress for it and we don't get hurricanes and tornadoes or have poisonous snakes or insects to deal with. I have been through Wichita on several occasions and it seems to be always windy and I'm not a big fan of windy climates. Now lets get back to talking Packards and not geography!

Posted on: 2008/10/26 21:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I was reminded today that one of the better arguments against that is the use of corks in wine and even some cognac bottles.

Owen, The same thought crossed my mind as I uncorked a bottle of my favouite single malt Mccallan's which uses a cork stopper. Cheers!

Posted on: 2008/10/26 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think the difference between automotive cork and the cork used in wine bottles is that the wine bottle cork doesn't have rubber in it, and most automotive cork does. That's the problem.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 23:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved