Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 374 Lifter issue?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Those oil pump pics are a gem - thats exactly what I had in mind - I like the idea of running the oil level quite high - thats one thing with all the V8's compared with the vast sump area of the straight eights.

The rear "scuppers" (thats a cool word!) are stainless around '52 or thereabouts - they were an ebay find $30 for four from memory - I think they were listed under ford or something.

The script on the rear doors? - they were a present from my 8 year old daughter - "Daddy, I got you these for your classic car - look; they even say 'classic'" (off mid sixties Rambler) so we glued them on, and shes very happy to have done her part on the car, and they kind of look the part!

You guys are fantastic in this forum, you're a real inspiration.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.36 KB)
4807_563e967521006.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/7 19:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Muir
See User information
Hi CustomClipper 55, I like the ideas put forward, however marvel mystery oil isn't available down this hemisphere, would you have any ideas of a substitute?

For the oiling system I'd rather get a worthy M.O substitute in the pan.
Cheers

Posted on: 2015/11/8 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
You did not make it clear if your Packard V8 has been overhauled or if it is quite possibly an untouched orig. perhaps this is unknown. You will certainly will determine this if you have the pan down to clean the screen as described above. If it has been rebuilt you can disregard my suggestions. There was a long discussion on this in another thread and my experiences on this engine only apply to recommissioned engines that were run in their early years with the oils of the day. In those cases it is imperative to keep the undisturbed sludge sleeping and keep the exhaust valves cool and lubricated. Keep the cooling system up to snuff and the oil free of gasoline or detergents. NON det oil and lead substitute and a small amt of 2 cycle oil in the Fuel (not oil). I have driven a 352 in extreme heat and distances on the highway and stop n go in the past and have not had problems with the oil/ vac pump. Loosening and sending the the debris through the pickup and into the oiling system of a partial filtration system such as this will certainly clogg the pickup and destroy bearing surfaces and that is what the newer detergent oil are designed to do. No harm to modern engines due to very little sludge accumulation with these oils and modern oiling systems filtering the oil BEFORE sending oil to the bearings. Good luck .

Posted on: 2015/11/9 13:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved