Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Going to look at '38 Pack coupe in Volo, IL
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As to 37 Juniors not being a "Highway Car". Today's 65 mph highway traffic in my area moves at 75+, not a comfortable speed for a Junior. But you can tool along all day at 50-55mph in a Six or 120 and enjoy the ride much more than the hoard of Motoring Morons.

There are usually 2 lane roads which will take you to the same destination as a superhighway, slower speed, more scenic and you can see America without trying too hard.

Overdrive?? When you go to a car show ask owners of 1925-1950 cars that drove there if they have overdrive or not. There are hundreds of thousands of older collector cars that get along just fine without overdrive. I have a 1930 384 Eight Deluxe all stock, no overdrive and don't need it.

Want to get somewhere fast at highway speeds and have 100% reliability, get a Toyota. There are trade-offs in life.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 17:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Going to look at '38 Pack coupe in Volo, IL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...I agree with Fred regarding driving on roads other than freeways. I drive my 1949 Packard and 1931 Model A Ford (with Mitchell Overdrive) all over Scottsdale, and much of the time all over the Phoenix Metropolitan area without using a freeway. A look at the old paper maps shows where the fairly fast transit streets that pre-date the freeways are and I use them a lot. In Arizona, one can go a great many places on the roads that were the main roads prior to the freeways. Great fun with the old machines.

Garrett...Once you work out the old routes, you will really enjoy the Packard 6 for what it is. Unless you are on a freeway, there is no need to go over 55 miles an hour.

I sometimes use a freeway on a Saturday or Sunday morning when going to breakfast with other old car folk. At six or seven a.m. on a weekend you will not hold anyone up. Purchase and enjoy...There will be a local shop in your area with an old technician 60+ who can take care of your Packard if you don't have the time or skill. I do about half of the work on both our old machines and Alex Alfaro does the rest. He is not quite 50 yet and I am just shy of 70.!

Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/27 18:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved