Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Merger
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Gosh , Steve, that was 1975 so we were working on one of down periods for AMC. They teetered on bankruptcy many times. We studied several companies but AMC was our computer simulation.

Posted on: 2017/1/23 15:36
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

fredinflorida wrote:
Gosh , Steve, that was 1975 so we were working on one of down periods for AMC. They teetered on bankruptcy many times. We studied several companies but AMC was our computer simulation.

So your scenario was from 75 going forward? They were running out of options by then, having spent so much on the Pacer and Matador coupe. With 20/20 hindsight there were things they could have done around 72 that would have had them in a better position in the late 70s, but at the time, those other options would have been as big a gamble as the Pacer was.

Posted on: 2017/1/23 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Were it not for the addition of Jeep in 1970, the evergreen Hornet/Concord/Eagle platform and 'Franco-American' Motors episode, it likely AMC would have failed in the 1970's. To the extent it continued to until 1987 as independent is something of a miracle.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/24 11:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi

Were it not for the addition of Jeep in 1970, the evergreen Hornet/Concord/Eagle platform and 'Franco-American' Motors episode, it likely AMC would have failed in the 1970's. To the extent it continued to until 1987 as independent is something of a miracle.

Steve

Yup, the Pacer and Matador coupe burned the last of their money. People freaked when gas topped 50 cents/gallon in 74 and snapped up anything with a 5, including massive numbers of Gremlins and Hornets. iirc AMC was about busted when Renault came on the scene in the late 70s. Renault made several infusions of cash and an all new line to build the Alliance, plus the Brampton plant that Chrysler is still using.

Of course I can't find the pic on line, but, within the last few months, Hemmings ran an article about Pacer based concepts that AMC looked at. One was a Pacer wagon, with the Eagle AWD powertrain, and a squared off, more purposeful front clip. Absolutely brilliant.

Posted on: 2017/1/24 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It was also the financial benefits from the Renault cooperation that allowed AMC to develop the Jeep Cherokee. I had a 96 Classic 4WD model and just loved it and the torque of the 4-liter 6-cylinder engine. I wish I had it now.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/25 11:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved