Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Cam shaft for 245 CID Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was speaking only of the math of grinding it but there are other considerations too that outweigh the math. For typical cam wear it's a minimal amount the must be removed so grinding alone is fine but for severe lobe flattening, building it back up prior to grinding is the best method and the process makes the lobe hard again. I'm not sure if the cam is hardened all the way through but I suspect it's primarily surface-hardened where extreme wear would go into the slightly softer material underneath so simply regringing it would not be the best of ideas. I have a cam (and entire engine) that came from a 1951 Packard 300 racing car and it has a lobe or two that would benefit from lobe rebuilding rather than simple grinding.

Here's a diagram I found showing the lift with respect to the heel. If only the lobe is ground, the lift is obviously shorter but if the heel is ground too, the lift remains the same.

Attach file:

jpeg  (30.57 KB)
60923_5b88213f67156.jpeg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2018/8/30 11:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved