Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: underside paint color
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pack36997
See User information
My 1937 115-C 1088 had welting on the rear fenders that was the same color as the body when I removed them 35 years ago. It is probably too difficult to duplicate so everyone just uses black welting now. The underside of the fender was painted black.

Posted on: 2021/10/1 7:01
 Top  Print   

Re: underside paint color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Photographic record is pretty clear. Colored fender welting thru 1937 and black thereafter. However, nothing is absolute with Packard and if they were running short on the line in 1940, sure, they would start using earlier stock. Heck, even today they throw wrong color parts on cars to keep the line going. However, both black and colored was being used even on the same car. In the individual custom catalogue for Dietrich there is clearly black, but in factory photos - colored. So if someone tries to dictate what the fender welt should be, if they weren't working on the Packard line that year they are full of bull.

As for firewall color, that is one of the few places where Packard is consistent - black through 1934. Cheap black primer wash on the undersides of the hood. I see a lot of cars today with expensive restorations that need firewall work because they are not black. As for the hood undersides, personally if the car is pre-1935 and the customer wanted car color on the hood backsides I wouldn't much care because it's not very intrusive.

Posted on: 2021/10/1 18:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved