Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard Plant update....
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I guess I was thinking is that they maybe they still had some buildings at East Grand where they, say, made trim pieces for interiors or the outside of the bodies, or components for the dash, or brackets, or whatever. It would seem insane to try to move all of that stuff to Conner Avenue and Utica. Maybe by that point all that stuff was being made outside by suppliers.

Posted on: 2023/2/27 13:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Plant update....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
I guess I was thinking is that they maybe they still had some buildings at East Grand where they, say, made trim pieces for interiors or the outside of the bodies, or components for the dash, or brackets, or whatever. It would seem insane to try to move all of that stuff to Conner Avenue and Utica. Maybe by that point all that stuff was being made outside by suppliers.

Most of this stuff was being made by outside vendors. For instance the vacuum tanks (on the splash well in the engine compartment) were made at a company on Detroit's east side. Interior trim (much of it) was done at Mitchell-Bentley in Ionia, Michigan. And on and on...

Postwar Packard production was not like many imagine it today. The foundry buildings and work (which was actually located north of Harper Avenue where nobody today realizes the plant extended) had all been shut down by the V-8 era. The foundry contents were already being auctioned off.

This points out yet another reason why the death of Packard in Detroit was so very crippling to the city. At one time, Detroit (and southeast Michigan) was peppered with little shops and companies that did everything from manufacturing small parts and assemblies to tool & die making. When Packard went down in flames, so did many of these little companies!

And businesses like Creative Industries, Mitchell-Bentley and Modern Engineering could create cars and components cheaper and easier than Packard could itself. So? They farmed this work out to what were believed to be competent vendors.

Posted on: 2023/2/27 16:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved