Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 166

Paul E. Gallagher, 39Rollson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Reversed Polarity
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I understand and agree with what you're saying, but with a couple of exceptions.

I didn't say you could arbitrarily reverse the battery polarity. Of corse you are right about the generator and the regulator as well as any solid state devices you have in the radio. I meant to say that there is no advantage of positive common ( I hesitate to say ground here ) over negative common.

BTW, In the beginning I had a hard time accepting hole flow in PNP transistors and I still say "60 cycles" and not 60 HZ. Cycles to me always meant cycles per second. Guess that dates me a bit.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 16:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Electron flow is from negative to positive. The electrons don't care which terminal of the battery is connected to the chassis.
- to +.
I'll add my .02 cents worth-The best explanation I heard was that, because of electron flow as described above, it was "less work" as such for the ignition system to produce a spark going to positive ground. Who Knows???
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

MikeG wrote:
Electron flow is from negative to positive. The electrons don't care which terminal of the battery is connected to the chassis.
- to +.
I'll add my .02 cents worth-The best explanation I heard was that, because of electron flow as described above, it was "less work" as such for the ignition system to produce a spark going to positive ground. Who Knows???
MikeG

Mike is right. For most of the regular electronics, it doesn't matter which polarity is used as long as everything's wired accordingly. DC current flows from anode or neg- to cathode or pos+. This info is also useful in electroplating. I made a lot of copper coated nickels in science class long ago. The only advantage of neg- ground in automobiles is due to the very design of spark plugs. On a spark plug, the ground electrode is the on the outer threaded portion. On a neg- system the plugs work by the spark traveling from the outside of plug into the center electrode. On pos+ ground, the spark travels the oposite way. If your plug gaps are open too far, it is posible for the spark to be spread out over a wider area of the plug which would give it a lower intensity. Of course the gaps would have to be way off to make much difference.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 18:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved