Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

Don B, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: need a carpet sample for V-8 blue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe there is a scrap that goes up on the firewall. I'll doublecheck tomorrow and mail you a swatch if there is.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

There is some merit to what you say, but playing one's cards too close to the vest could scuttle a project that otherwise might succeed.

For example, a fella in the Cosworth Vega Owner's Association had done the legwork on having hood blankets repro'd privately. On one hand he could have them molded and die-cut as original, which was pricey; on the other hand, he could have had them simply die-cut (IIRC) for a lot less. This was put forth in a post at an independent online forum, but the project almost died due to a lack of response. Luckily, that fella went on to present the details during the Director's meeting at one of their national meets, which are open to the member rank and file. The Directors quickly crunched the numbers, figured the break-even, took a vote by show of hands on who would buy one, and then took it on as their own National Project AND gave the people who stepped up to the plate to buy one a substantial discount on their purchase. If it weren't for the open nature of that meeting, an exacting reproduction of part that had long been NLA might never have been made.

With membership in the hundreds, not thousands, the CVOA does a fantastic job on parts projects that no vendor would ever touch. In contrast, PAC's National Projects are awfully weak, and I have met more than a few people who have a real negative opinion of that organization. However, I have seen some fine stuff from the Mid-Atlantic and Motor City Regions and would buy from them. (Heck, after talking to Mr. Pushbutton at-length this past year, I am inspired to convert the one Patrician I have with manual selector to push button control!)

Yet, I digress...

I just checked the parts book and sure 'nuff, in addition to black, there's just grey, blue, green, and copper for '56 - technically five colors. I guess I was confusing some '55s I'd seen with red, turquoise, etc. carpeting, but I'm still thinking there was something special about the black (or even all colors of) carpet material that Packard used?

Meanwhile, I am confused as to the driving force behind this project when Kanters has been offering carpet for years. I just checked their color catalog from 2004, and the colors seems awfully close - except for the lack of a copper.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Could be that someone is going to offer the carpets at a much cheaper price than the clubs or dealers.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
There is no conspiracy on the carpet. A friend of mine who has not been able to find the correct carpet is spending a ton of his own money to have what he needs manufactured. He is NOT a Packard vendor. I asked him how much he is having made and he is not sure. I supplied the green color I needed when he asked and YES I have a personal interest in helping him succeed in getting the product made. I am buying enough for my Caribbean, bronze color and for my 400 green color. He wanted a commitment from me to purchace enough carpet to help make it happen. If anyone goes through a lot of trouble and money to make something no one else would spend their money on, I think that is great. It is not a club project even though he is a proud member of both PI and PAC.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Brian, hundreds of companies sell auto carpets. If a person is not a purest, just buy some color and weave that you like from one of the companies and press on with life. However if you really want an accurate restoration then you may have to have the correct carpet made. I really want the correct carpet for my car and am willing to buy that product for my use. It will NOT be reasonably priced due to the setup,and short run. It will be for those of us who want authenticity in their restorations. There was and is no announcement to be made about a single person making a short run of a product since he is not intending to advertise it. If some folks think I should have said something sooner so be it. Most of you who have bought cars certainly don't tell anyone until it is in your garage.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Joel: Here is the problem that I have with this carpet thing. You said this forum is about helping people, but it certainly seems that you aren't willing to help fellow 56 Packard owners, the chance to also obtain correct carpet for their Packard's. Maybe on a private basis you should be willing to give people the chance to take peoples orders, for the carpet. The more people you get in on the deal, the less expense for the person fronting the undertaking.

On the other side of the coin, if you and the person putting up the money aren't willing to let other persons in on this, then maybe you should be willing to pay a person for a sample of the carpet.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/8/8 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
John, basically my friends cost is already fixed. I found out that it has been woven already and is now ready to have the dye applied. He of course did not need the black sample just the other four colors. Mr. Pushbutton is also well aware of the project and neither one of us has any right to take it upon ourselves to get involved. If he wants to advertise it as a project he will. I suspect he will not have too much extra material left after the carpet for his cars and the people who have committed to expend funds for the carpets orders are filled. I'll voice your concerns to him and give him the website URL, if he wants further involvment he will chime in.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Does this look like what you need? I'm not sure that it's original but appears to be and was in the car ('55 Pat) when I bought it. Could probably find a small piece underneath the back seat or somewhere.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.15 KB)
31_46bb48a2e8ce6.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/8/9 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The mutual friend Joel and I know is pursuing this carpet project--I learned more about his intent for the product by reading Joel's post that that gentlman told me. If he only wishes to make a small run for himself and a few friends I'd have to say that is his perrogative. I am treating this no different than someone who wants to make one piece for their own car and wants to trace mine for a pattern. He's still a Packard guy, and will make that car better.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Joel,

Thanks for the clarification about the carpets as I never knew that 55 and 56's are different from each other.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 20:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved