Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

JD in KC, 58survivor, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A new can of worms...kinda
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Referring Old Golds blog and car Guscha reminded us of above, I notice it has been over a year since last post. Had a nice start but anyone ever hear if it sold or was finished.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
LMFAO? Are you in miami?

Miami? What the he77 makes you think that?

When I get this pile a goin' we're gonna have to just test this "taillight" theory for once and for all.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Some Progress... Just an 'ol crappy iron 394 out of a 63 oldsmobile 98. 80,000 miles. All i will probably do to it is switch the intake from a four barrel to a triple deuce setup. Seems to be cramming in pretty nicely so far, As to the questions that were brought up about glass, the rear will get a flat oval window and the side glass is all flat, so easy enough there. I have a friend who can cut the front wrap around glass with a water jet. The pictures are of the engine in a mock up stage so dont anybody take too many notes.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.23 KB)
1551_4b3d12a91ac54.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.51 KB)
1551_4b3d12c329ad2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (159.69 KB)
1551_4b3d131710981.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (143.02 KB)
1551_4b3d1348462e5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
HH56 Wrote:
"Referring Old Golds blog and car Guscha reminded us of above, I notice it has been over a year since last post. Had a nice start but anyone ever hear if it sold or was finished."

The car wound up down the street from me here in Phoenix. Even sadder, the engine and trans. were pulled even though it was an interesting drivable unit. I bought the engine for Flackmaster and company, crated and shipped to Texas just about a year ago this week. The owner of the car was trying to sell it engineless. To my knowledge, it never did sell. I will say this; I was very impressed with the work that was done. It was a very good-looking custom.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 0:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Gusha and 39super8 for the update. Sad to say, that's rather what I expected to hear. Probably only a crusher awaits now. From the pictures Old Gold posted, it was obvious the man has skills & talent as it really appeared being nicely done. Just wish he could have finished it and then found it a good home.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I guess its normal on a build like this to wonder how much weight i could shave by deleting the entire TL system and air baggin it. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2010/1/1 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Not enough to make it worth it, plus you lose the best feature of the car.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 1:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
air bags would make the car heavier.

Subtract the weight of the torsion bars (not much) and the leveller motors but add the weight of 4 air bags plus the added mounts for the back. Then add the compressor needed for the air bags to work.

The only thing that would be lighter is your wallet.

If you did a real good job the car would ride the same, level itself the same, weigh the same, everything would be the same except some shop owner would get a new bass boat.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In other words, you would save as much weight as you did by replacing the Packard V8 and Ultramatic with an Olds V8 and slim jim hydro.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Just thought I would let anybody know who is modifying their TL system, ie, deleting the safety stop, over riding the compensation system, putting the system on 2 way momentary switch, you will have to add a slip yoke to the drive line. The factory detroit grunnion will only articulate so far before it vibrates insanely. I have run into this twice and each time I have had to use a slip yoke. Just throwin it out there. This is only necessary if you exceed the factory or normal specs of the torsion bars. I can set the rear bumper of my 55 on the ground and drag it, however the front bumper is 14" off the ground at that point and it looks like a hispanic built gasser, hence the load bearing pins being shortened and made adjustable.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 15:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved