Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: valve stem seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. Mine ot plenty of oil too before modification.
BUT! The oil just runs down the rocker shaft perches, hits the internal top surface of the head and runs down the drain back holes in the head.
Let me be more specific:
Altho there is plenty of oil reaching the overhead it simply does not reach ANY part of the spring, stem, spring retainer. It just flows around the base of the spring and valve guide.

Again, i drove mine at 70-80 mph with hood off and valve coder removed and NO OIL ever spattered againt ANYTHING. IT simply ran onto the internal top suface of the head and down the drain backs.

The overhead oiling is not JUST for the rockers. Some has to splash toward the guide in somekind of controled manner.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ditto my late 56, throws plenty of oil spatter onto the inner fenders at idle with the valve covers removed. I suspect that between manufacturing variances (tolerance stack-up), the several changes in rocker shafts and arms, oil pumps, and the like that there existed a very wide range of variation in how these engines oiled. That's why some seem to hit 100,000 miles without any issues, and others develop various maladies at half or even less that mileage. Certainly anyone who has one without the later cam plate and ring, if they do nothing else, should get one from Jack Vines and install it pronto.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check th e internal top surface of the valve cover. Dry as a bone?????? That means no oil mist, no spattering or anything.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My valve cover inside is quite wet with oil, enough so that unless you turn it over really fast after you remove it, there is enough to really make a mess.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC there is some STB or SC that indicates a rocker arm bore was changed in some way.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have the late cam plate installed in mine that oils the chain intermittently. A new chain as of about 18K miles ago recently shows alot of slack by finger inspection with oil pan removed. IIRC it is a Lemco timing chain NEW 18k miles ago. Not sure about Lemco quality but it looked like a good chain. Never used Lemco products before that i can remeber. The oem chain with 34K miles was very loose. The new Lemco tightened it up alot when first installed. Gears showed a little wear but not enuf to replace.

My next chain will most likely be one of Kanters roller chain/sprocket retro fit kits.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall that one but there were at least two that dealt with the oil feed holes in the shafts. And then the change the rocker arms themselves - they were making a lot of lubrication changes on the run.

Pete Graves or one of the other last engineers at Packard spoke on these matters many years ago but I don't believe the talk was recorded so whatever he had to offer has been lost unless you were there to hear it. I wasn't, wish I was.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering if Clipper and Executive were most likely built with odd lot or somewhat cull parts while Sr's were built with higher production and quality control parts.

My 56 Exec has original matching number engine but is painted the green over an original ivory paint (block only).

Posted on: 2010/3/29 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
However, all of this does somewhat beg the question as to why EARLY 55's used the pee hole rocker. And why was it eleminated. I'm guessing to raise oil pressure. FROM THE FACTORY the push rod socket on my 56 Executive engine was oiled when ever the valve was CLOSED. That's 75% of the time that oil pressure is against the push rod socket.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I wouldn't think there would be any reason to believe Clippers were built with odd lot or "cull" parts or inferior engine parts of any kind.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 19:40
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved