Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

charlieshot, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Senior Front Brake Shoes
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
by ineffabill on 2011/4/4 13:12:33

I'd imagine that alot of the dust exposure from servicing brakes is less nasty than handling asbestos pipe insulation day in - day out. Another factor is that most mechanics are individuals working in small private shops

You'll hear more about 400 workers filing a class action lawsuit over asbestos health problems vs. ol' Bob the retired mechanic who has "taken ill".

...and there were more than a few 'ol Bill-the-mechanics who stayed well and lived long, although not that many, in my experience. I think the continual exposure to liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons was more likely to do them in early. At least that's the way it seemed around my hometown in the '60s and '70s. Mechanics rarely seemed to live much past their late 50s. So my dad, maybe expecting the worst, retired at 62 and lived to be 82. You never know.

Interesting sidelight-- a fair number of women who have never worked with asbestos have died of lung problems related to it-- because their husbands worked with it in uncontrolled conditions. (They washed their contaminated clothes.)

Posted on: 2011/4/4 23:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved