Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Generator polarity??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
One thing I tried that was suggested to me was, removing the inspection cover and checking the commutator for oxidation. The commutator on mine was pretty dark and nasty lookin'. So, I got some sand paper (not Emory cloth), and spun the armature to clean off the oxidation. What I was left with is a shiny conductive surface. It is also good to clean off the brushes and check to see if they are contacting the commutator nicely. My gennie wasn't putting out anything that I could tell, but once I cleaned her up she seemed to be workin' just fine.

-The second youngest Packardinfoer

Posted on: 2012/4/26 17:07
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks for the replys!!! I haven't been working on her much lately, sidetracked with other projects... But now I'm back at it again! I'm pulling the gen out tomorrow to clean everything up and while I'm at it I'll replace all the rotten original wires.

There are no markings that I can see on the gen case, but can anyone tell me what wires should go to what posts? The wiring diagrams I've found say what wires go to what post, but i don't know which are which... Here's a photo of the gen in my car. As you can see, my wiring isn't exactly up to snuff LOL! For all I know they are bassakwards... I just put them back how the PO had em, but it had charging problems then, too.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/6/9 23:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you clean the rust and grime from the generator you should find the two posts marked, probably "A" and "F" or "ARM" and FLD", armature and field respectively. If not marked, the larger diam post and heavier wire is the armature and the smaller is the field. The condensor is just there to reduce radio interference. Looks like you've also got a ground wire (the one where the condensor casing is fastened.)

Posted on: 2012/6/10 7:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna give it a good bath when I take it apart so hooefully the marking will show themselves...

Posted on: 2012/6/10 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I think I found the problem! The terminal on one of the brushes had broken off. I'm hoping if I solder a new terminal on the wire it should be up and running again... I'll post back how it works out.

Posted on: 2012/6/11 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Found a box of old brushes in Auto this morning, and there was a set that fit perfect!! I think I'm good to go now....

Also, is the condenser on there necessary? I don't have a radio, so can I omit it when i reinstall the gen?

Posted on: 2012/6/12 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I'm sure you'll be fine with out it. I had one up by my ignition switch that had bare wires. I notice nothing wrong without it.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/12 13:22
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you don't care about radio interference, you can just eliminate the condensor on the generator with no consequences.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Well, the generator it self is ok now, but It's still not charging the battery.... I'm going to try replacing all the old wires to the regulator and see if it helps. Honestly I should just buckle down and put the new harness in. I've had an 8 circuit 12v harness from rebel wire in my closet for over a year just waiting for a good time.

Posted on: 2012/6/16 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
So my charging system was working ok for a while after the generator fix... But the other night it stopped working! I noticed when I went to hit my horn and it sounded very disgruntled.

Anyways, so far I tested the gen (motors good) and cleaned all terminals on the gen and regulator, as well as cleaned the points in the regulator. I noticed that when I press the double contact in the reg. that is motors the gen. Is this indicative of anything? After a thorough cleaning there is still no charging. The engine idles smoother now, though, which I thought was interesting. What is the next step in solving this thing? Thanks for the help!!

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved