Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 244

Trevor, 37Blanche, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Trading Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

PA Patrician wrote:
IMHO, the V-8s are the coolest of the post-war Packards. As a person who acquired two Packards rather quickly, if you have a place to park the second, it isn't that much of a problem unless your better half has limited you to a single fun vehicle.

Having a driver while you spend time and effort really making the other one nice is a luxury that is well worth it if you can afford it and have a supportive spouse as I do.

If you are in a position to pick up the '50 in addition to your '55 400, go for it.

Hi -

I've got to agree with Tim right down the line. However, styling preferences are pretty much a personal thing.

For the point of having two Packards, I've got to say that when problems on one had me up against a wall, having the other was both consoling and inspiring.

It's tough to tell from the pictures I've seen of your 400 but my impression is that the 400 is in MUCH better shape.

There comes a low point in every old car project when you don't ever think it's going to come together. I've had that feeling on every car I've gone through. And, there is nothing more conducive to those low points than a car that doesn't run. Before you make a decision, think back over all the reasons you bought the 400 in the first place. If you find some or all of them still resonate, then the 400 is ahead on points. The Patrician I bought, thanks to you, was a non-running car and had been for over 25 years. My motto is: "If the engine will turn, the engine will run." As far as expense goes, I've found that parts for the '55 are FAR more reasonable than I expected some less expensive than for my '51 - probably because Packard was outsourcing more parts by then.

If you need some help making it happen with your 400 (or the other), let me know.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 3:46
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Why don't you ask for the red/white Hudson Jet-Liner as well as the Packard in trade?

Posted on: 2012/7/9 8:55
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Thanks for all the replies.

After all your wise council, I have decided to probably keep the '55 400, and pass on the '50. I have 5 hobby cars, and one more in the stable just for the sake of having it isn't practical. I just need to focus on the 400 and finish it.

So if anyone is interested in the '50, PM me and I'll give you the contact number. He is asking $1850 obo. He is a real Packard guy, has a '56 Caribbean HT, a '54 Caribbean conv, and other beautiful Packards. He is a pleasure to talk to.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Hank's construded view of what the value is....take 1000 off that price.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
Hank's construded view of what the value is....take 1000 off that price.

What's funny is, $850 is what he is asking for the little Hudson Jetliner sitting next to the Packard.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Portlandon,

I'm glad you regained your composure and are giving the situation more reflection. That 400 of yours will be beautiful one day. As previously said, there were many times along the way that my project stalled just like others here. Money, health and simply NOT having my head right seemed to get into the way. I once considered selling everything Packard because of my frustrations. All I can tell you now is that I'm glad I did not! The sheer joy that my 400 now brings me is a fantastic experience. It took me a good ten years to finish the car, because I only worked on it during the weekends. I think that the $$$ you would ultimately spend on either car will generally be the same.

Lastly (and this is me speaking from the heart), sitting side by side, if those cars were restored to the exact same degree, the 400 would hands down be the favorite of car enthusiasts at every show I've attended.

Take care!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 14:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved