Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: T-L system stopped functioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Need to get the brake light switch power sorted out so that would be the first step. Not sure why you have brake lights working properly if the power to the control switch is opposite. Once you have power at the proper time can move on.

One other thing. You mentioned new solenoids and control switch. Is the new control switch an original style or a rebuilt solid state conversion. If solid state, is the car still at positive ground? I have asked but never found out for sure if the conversions are polarity sensitive. If you have one of the conversions, that would be one possibility. Since you don't hear the relays click and have a voltage reading at A & B we will assume for the moment the new solenoids are the proper type.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I have power to the purple lead to 3 prong brake light. Nothing to the underdash switch when brake applied or not. Yet, when under car with test light, had daughter step on brake I had power at control box. Control box is the solid state from Max Merritt, that is where I also got the solenoids & a new underdash switch. The leveling seems to have quit working around the time I replaced the brake light switch. That would be about the same time the brake lights started working again??? I'm going to try a different new brake light switch to see if anything changes......

Posted on: 2013/8/17 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To totally bypass the brake switch, remove the plug and temporarily jumper the purple or pink wire to the light green wire. That should give you power at the control box as if the car was sitting or driving down the road. After that, you should be able to check out the entire TL circuit.

The new brake switch could be faulty or it could have the contact terminals in a different arrangement than the Packard switch.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 15:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Success!! I got another nos brake light switch from stash, installed it & the torsion leveler WORKS!!!
Brake lights too.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!

Posted on: 2013/8/17 15:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved