Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Re: Resurrecting my 56’ Patrician
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Last week, after work, I was running the Packard allowing it to warm up and come off choke, to attempt to adjust the carb better than it is currently. My friend who happens to also be my mailman, stopped briefly because he saw the hood up. He immediately commented that my starter was still engaged. I thought maybe I crossed a wire while re-wiring but to no avail. I swear I could not hear a difference in it idling; but he swore it was “plain as day.” I trust my mailman, so I turned off the car for an evening with more daylight. Today was the day, 62 degrees out. Thinking all kinds of possible scenarios, I had not considered the return spring for the starter. It took awhile but I was able to properly seat the spring.

Attach file:

jpg  20231224_160730.jpg (2,318.21 KB)
225242_6588a8f55b987.jpg 2992X2992 px

jpg  20231224_162353.jpg (1,970.72 KB)
225242_6588a903c88f5.jpg 2992X2992 px

Posted on: 12/24 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I was getting a clang.

Took trans apert only to find. That damn. Return spring popped out.

Make sure..

It's well seated in that lever.. if not.. it will pop out.

Posted on: 12/24 17:08
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Just an Update:
Installed a set of digital gauges and a radio in a custom fabricated metal insert in the glove box opening. The original glove box is safely packed away. My constant thought with this car, is that nothing modern installed that cannot be undone and preferably not visible. When at a show or an event, I close the glove box, and no one knows. The gauges came from Amazon and in the photo, you will note with the engine off, my rpm is 7,685 and 150psi oil pressure. After reading the reviews about the gauges I realized that I got what I paid for. Since then, I have ordered new gauges from Summit Racing. But a whole new set of issues. The new gauge requires a different oil pressure sending unit. My first thought was a T pipe so both units can be installed. The original for the dash, and the new unit for the digital gauge. So today, after many trips to the tool box and frustration, I walked away. It seems nearly impossible to get the old sending unit out. I am sure this is a breeze if the engine was out of the car, but in the car, it is a nightmare. Is there another port on the engine that I can install the new sending unit. Oh yeah with regards to the vacuum pressure on the carb. Bad vacuum gauge adjustment on the tool. My mailman pointed that out to me. It now reads in the green. Power steering rack leaks bad, so repairing that is next. Where do I find new hoses for the power steering? Also, where can I find or have repaired the side mirror. It is brownish and wobbles. Also noted a small chip in the windshield from a rock from the neighbor's mower. Not happy about that. All in all, though, I really feel that I can at least double my distance behind the wheel this summer. So far, I have driven her 75' and pushed her back 100'

Attach file:

jpg  gauges and radio in dash.jpg (2,845.90 KB)
225242_661317bd53e13.jpg 2992X2992 px

Posted on: 4/7 17:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the extra sender, I seem to recall a plug just below the regular sender and at an angle pointing toward the passenger side. It may be slightly hidden under the breather vent tube coming off the lifter galley cover. I believe it is larger than the sender port -- maybe a 1/4 plug -- but think it also opens to the same passage the sender uses.

Another option is since the heads are interchangeable right to left there will be an unused port on the rear of both heads. Look to see where the oil filter supply tube is at the front of the left head to see where it will be positioned at the rear. Not sure you will be able to use those because of the closeness to the firewall if the sender is very large.

As to the hoses, I believe the vendors have them but you might also be able to have them made locally at a hydraulic shop. If replacement fittings are much larger or different in shape than the originals there could be issues with the two short hoses on a Bendix system. There is also a restriction in the main pressure hose that factory articles said is supposed to cut down on noise. I know hoses made locally don't have that restriction and seem to work OK so don't know how important it really is.

Posted on: 4/7 17:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved