Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 246

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Re: 1948 Super Eight Resurrection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Yes, I am running radials, at least on the front right now. I'm going through the process of painting the wheels, and as I need to drive this car daily for now, I'm doing one end at a time. So I have the old, worn out, hard as a rock bias ply tires on the rear still, and I have one more wheel to sandblast and paint.

Just changing to used radials on the front made a HUGE difference in the driving characteristics. I was planning on saving up for some Diamondback Wide Whites, but after putting the blackwalls on the front, I have decided that I like the look, so I will go ahead and purchase for now, some brand new BSW radials for the remaining two wheels. That will save me a ton of money, as the whites were going to be around $250 each, and I can get some BSWs sent to my door for around $80.

If I were you, I would consider turning those skinny whitewalls around, having the blackwall side out!

Posted on: 2012/8/13 10:38
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I first had my 48 2252 back in the 70s it had blackwalls on it. Even though when it came time for a tire replacement I did put whitewalls on, I still liked the look with the blackwalls. Whitewalls were just become available in very limited quantities by the end of 1948, though this particular car was built and sold in 1947 so the blacks would have been far more authentic to the era.

Badly faded on silver halide print, but it serves the purpose I believe.

Attach file:

jpg  (105.89 KB)
177_50292b81d2b09.jpg 933X668 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Dave,

Nice pic of a beautiful car. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 11:59
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Just now reading your blog. It looks like you are doing a great job. I've used the wheel cylinders you have on our car for several years now (14) with great results.

The wheels look great. I'm assuming you intend using that color for the overall car. If you're intending to go all out on originality, the inside surfaces of the wheels should be black with body color only on the outside. Obviously, very few people would know or care either way.

Keep up the great work.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 21:59
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks!

Yes, I am planning on using that color overall. And I did notice the wheels were black on the inside, but I sprayed them blue anyway. I can easily go back and paint the insides black- I'm assuming a semi-gloss.

I almost painted the rims red, but at the last minute, decided to go with the body color!

The color is very understated- looks almost black until you see it in the sunlight. It is Porsche Nachtblau (Midnight Blue).

The brakes on this car are amazing! It stops with ease and confidence. I don't know why anyone thought they would need power brakes. The only thing I would wish for is a dual system, for safety.

Would be interested in your book when you get it published.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:09
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have 8 or 9 copies left. It's $65.00 (which is my cost) plus shipping.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:26
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
David,

I see who you are now. I was thrown off by your signature, which I see you have now changed. I had been interested in your book ever since I heard about it on the "other" Packard site. I'm going to see if I can fit it into my budget somehow; I am now aware of the urgency, as the copies are dwindling.

Or, are you planning on another printing in the near future?

Please PM me with cost plus shipping to 33437.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/8/14 23:00
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
If demand is there I may do a second edition. I find that some things in the book could use some additional coverage. We'll see, it's a big job to get it all together.
Thanks for your interest.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 10:26
North Hills Packards
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Haven't posted for months- now it's time to get back to work on the 48!

I took her for a drive to a small car show yesterday. Before I left, I attempted to repair an intermittent left turn signal issue that was being caused by the rearmost wiring harness in the trunk. I know I should have purchased a replacement- I had found one offered by Nagasarrett that was around twenty-five bucks for just the taillight section in the trunk. I didn't, and now I can't find their number.

Anyway, I went about replacing the one wire to the left signal bulb, and it worked for about a minute, and then I lost all the turn signal lights, front and back, dash indicators, plus the brake lights. I especially don't like driving in south Florida traffic at night with no brake lights or rear bumper.

I figure it must be a fuse, so I pulled out the wiring diagram. My copy only shows one dash indicator light. It shows a 9 amp fuse coming from the flasher. There is also an accessory circuit breaker above the clock. A wire (13-R) from the brake light switch goes to it. Hmmmmm. I wonder how you would reset a circuit breaker on this old gal?

I'm almost ready to pull the front seat out so I can work on it.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.72 KB)
4371_51424655d4275.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:10
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder how you would reset a circuit breaker on this old gal?

As far as I know all the lighting circuit breakers from the early 30s thru 1956 are self-resetting.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved