Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've been known to do that a time or two...

Posted on: 2010/10/15 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I'm glad I could provide the evenings amusement. Like others, sometimes I don't think things through before making stupid comments.

I thought that was my specialty. No, I know it is.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 17:09
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I think this is probably my last comment on this thread as I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to add anything of value. However, I would like to say that I have improved the amount of boost to the BTV and, as a consequence, reduced the amount of peddle pressure required of my ageing right foot. The problem, or a large part of it, lay in the type of brake hose I used.

To explain in more detail, when I fitted the reco'd BTV I also fitted new brake booster vacuum hose. It's branded 9mm ID and complying with SAE J1403 standard, however its OD is about 2mm less than the stuff I took off. Yesterday I bought some more hose, this time the bigger OD stuff and branded 11/32", and fitted that. It too states that it complies with SAE standard J1403 and, as 11/32" is 8.73mm, I assume the difference in performance has something to do with the wall thickness of the hose as there is nothing else obvious to me.

Although still a little on the firm side, I am a lot happier. Thanks to everyone who offered advice - I really appreciate it. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/10/17 0:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Anyone interested can scroll to the bottom to Habanero's confirmation that the CHEVY BTV has a 5/8" diameter ram rod.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/218459/

God Bless Texas.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I do believe that was one of the links I posted earlier.

And it was Japaleno's post, get yer peppers right man!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes Eric. Originally u did post the link a few pages back. In the meanwhile someone had magically asked about the diameter of the BTV ram rod and Jalapeno answered it.

The only thing i can figure is that the Chevy pedal is the same as a manual brake pedal and therefore has enuf travel to accomodate the small BTV ram rod. Must be alot of pedal travel on the BTV 55-56 Chevies.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Someone had magically asked about the diameter of the BTV ram rod and Jalapeno answered it.

Magically, huh?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Eric, Keith and Et al.,

I made the suggested modification to the lid 's gasket about an hour ago. Boy it is a PITA to get over the fender and get to that BTV. I agreed with what I once heard someone say........it was said that Packard engineers built the 55-56 Packards around the placement of the BTV!

Attach file:

jpg  (231.49 KB)
20_4cc370bc41fe5.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (249.74 KB)
20_4cc370c8d430e.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (252.75 KB)
20_4cc370ddb389d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (242.03 KB)
20_4cc370f66616b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (250.75 KB)
20_4cc3710599722.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/23 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Have you ever been blamed for something and you were totally innocent? Finally had time to get under car for inspection. Put fluid in master cylinder to see if it would pump pressure into system, it seemed to but pedal would slowly go to floor, filled again and same response. When I looked under car was a medium size puddle of fluid below driver rear wheel. Further probing found where exhaust pipe bottomed against short steel line to wheel cylinder cracking it at the fitting. Need to bleed system and road test after our winter weather is out of here and will update. Believe it or not snow predicted for Louisiana on Sunday. Still will be very skeptical when driving it.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

rowdy wrote:
Have you ever been blamed for something and you were totally innocent?

That's almost always the time I get blamed. I'm no good at being innocent, I always look guilty. It's probably because being innocent is not what I'm used to.

If I'm guilty of something, I can sometimes pull off a good innocent look and get out of it. It's more natural.

Quote:
Still will be very skeptical when driving it.

Wariness might suit better than skepticism, although I suppose one follows the other. A lightning fast move to the emergency brake handle is probably most important. Practice it. I do. (Some of those floor pedal ones are the hardest to hit. I'd rather have a hand brake any day.)

Quote:

rowdy wrote:
WILL NOT DRIVE THIS CAR AGAIN UNTIL I FABRICATE A MODERN SYSTEM. All you diehards, IF you drive your cars, your time will come!

After this, do you think she'll ever forgive you?

Posted on: 2011/1/8 20:06
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved