Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rear Main Seal Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wait a minute. Don't trim the tabs off yet. PREfit the gaskets to see how they fit. I'll try to dig out an OEM pan gasket set i have here to look at to see if the side gaskets have such tabs. But it will be later on tonite.

Fit the gaskets as they are and look at them to see howw thye fit.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 17:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
50 years after the manual was written and now dealing with repop gaskets it is more important to determine FIT than necessarily following documentaion.

Since u're cementing to the block and not tieing to the pan then leave the tabs as pictures. BOTTOM line is do the tabs cause the main cap seal to distort any or to not fit properly???? Maybe the main cap gasket is cut shorter than OEM.

How they fit is what is important here!!! NOT standard procedure.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 17:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
The main cap gaskets were to long to begin with, so I trimmed them to fit without the side gasket installed. Then I did a pre-fit of the side gaskets and that is when I noticed the tabs and how they fit in the same area as the end gaskets. Without the end gaskets installed, the side gaskets fit perfectly. The tabs have a different offset from the edge to accommodate the difference between the front and rear gasket channels.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NORS FelPro FS 7658 SH (replacing 458669) kit has NO tabs on the side gaskets.

Just out of curiosity where did u get the gasket set???

Posted on: 2012/11/7 21:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
It was part of a gasket set from Kanters.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 1:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Well, I ended up trimming the tab off the side gaskets only at the rear, not the front. The rear main cap had notches to hold in place the end gasket so it made installing the pan much easier. I left the notches on the front because it helped line up the gasket. The pan is on and the RTV is curing. While I was under the car I noticed the freeze plug under the engine mount was leaking so NOW I am in the process of pulling the engine to replace that bad freeze plug. Thanks everyone who helped me with this forum. It was greatly appreciated. Brian

Posted on: 2012/11/12 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably don't need to pull the engine. JUst the motor mount. Difficult area to work in, yes. But should be able to do it by just lifting engine a little on that side and removing mount.

Keep us posted on your adventure with this.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 14:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I will try that first and if frustration gets the best of me then I will pull the engine. I will start a new forum for the freeze plug job. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Keith.......is that a variant pump? My Melling/Olds looks different. See post #12.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.06 KB)
20_50a18cdb8d39b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/12 18:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I installed that oil pump. I did not use the high output pump. Maybe that is the difference.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 21:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved