Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Easy driver?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
As a boy, I fell in love the first time I saw a new 1953 Studebaker Starlite hardtop. I never felt much for either the coupe or sedan versions, but the hardtops were at the top of my list. Within a year or two, the glow faded when I saw how badly the front fenders rusted, especially around the front vent doors, in Missouri after a few winters. Living in metro Louisville, have you found a way to solve this problem? I suppose my solution of never driving a classic anything on salted streets might be the only practical solution. Congrats on driving a Packard-powered gem from South Bend.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Dave,
I do not drive them when wet salt is on the road, ever. This winter has been the worst for salting, since I came back here in 2000. But when the roads are completely dry, I don't worry about salt dust this time of year. I drove the 62GT Hawk about 50 miles today, with plenty of salt on the roads, but dry. The GT is sort of the winter rat anyway. Will not drive the 56J even in salt dust.

By practicing the above driving habits, I have not had a Stude rust out from under me yet, though none of my cars are even close to perfect, since they are driven.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JoeH. What engine does the 62. GT have in it???? The 62 Hawk is a forite body style. Timeless. Just like the 36 - 37 cords.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
It has a Stude 289, V8 with T85 OD transmission & 3.54 rear gears. Have had it since 1985, and bought it in Escondido, CA. Guess its a keeper :)

The wife has a 63GT, which I am currently installing a GM, 700R transmission in. Gonna try it initially with the 3.07 rear gears currently in it. I kinda like tall gears for today's modern highways.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. I like tall gears too. Especialy on cars that pack alot power under vtthe hood.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 21:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved