Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Paint Formulas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Actually, they are wrong on both counts. That car is Sardonyx and White Jade. Rose quartz was the pink they used for the center strip on Caribbeans.

Moonstone is a very light grey with a bluish cast to it. Lemme see if I can find something...

Ah yes, here is very low miles 55 in Moonstone and Emerald--a seldom seen but very classy combination "CG". That is the factory applied paint.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.92 KB)
618_5372bb721269e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/5/13 19:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Actually, they are wrong on both counts. That car is Sardonyx and White Jade. Rose quartz was the pink they used for the center strip on Caribbeans.

Moonstone is a very light grey with a bluish cast to it. Lemme see if I can find something...

Ah yes, here is very low miles 55 in Moonstone and Emerald--a seldom seen but very classy combination "CG". That is the factory applied paint.

Wow! So in most cases the Moonstone has been replaced with White Jade?

I have always thought that Moonstone is white and my GE - Ultramarime and Moonstone Packard is going to be Blue and White. Now it's going to be hard to adjust my mind to a whole other combination. It would be very helpful to see a car with this combination. How will they look together? I'm going to have a hard decicion here...

Posted on: 2014/5/13 23:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Many people choose paint colors for maximum contrast as it gives a very dramatic first impression. Red and white, for example. In the long run two-tones where the basic hue is the same and contrast is not too extreme look refined and less tiresome. My opinion.

Ultramarine and Moonstone are both complex, not typical colors. I think they will look great together.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 5:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Thank you Ross! I agree. It's just hard to shake away the images of a restored blue and white Packard that I have created in my mind for over a year. I'm having a little crisis with it. It would help very much if I saw a car with the same colors. Then I could decide without any regrets.

Has anyone ever seen a Packard in the Ultramarine and Moonstone combination? Or is it that rare of a combination? I have only seen one picture of a Packard in Ultramarine and Zircon.

Posted on: 2014/5/14 6:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Now I have a new question. The main color of my car is Ultramarine. Are the hood and the trunk cover supposed to be painted from the inside with this color too? If not, then what color did they use?

Posted on: 2014/5/17 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Underside of the trunk should be Ultramarine. Underside of the hood would be the semi-gloss black primer with whatever amount of overspray that would occur from painting the outside and edges of the hood resting on a small table

Posted on: 2014/5/17 19:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Thanks Ross!

Another one: How much paint does a 1955 Packard 400 usually need? Going to buy the paints this week. How much Ultramarine and how much Moonstone? And yes, I'm going with the original combination. :)

Posted on: 2014/5/18 16:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved