Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

moodydavid16, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1934 Eight water pump
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Thanks guys. Jim, I have the Packard Shop Manual in the first link. Is the one in the second link more extensive?

Posted on: 2022/7/6 18:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jim/KB1MCV
See User information
The Motors Manual is a general automotive repair manual, it was updated every few years until the 1970's (?)
There is a section specific to Packards, at least some of which is probably covered in the Packard Shop Manual but more importantly there are specific sections devoted to systems of the period such as the cooling system, brakes, suspension, etc.

My 2 cents is to address the waterpump first because if its clanking it almost certainly not pumping.
If, later on, you need to remove the waterjacket I'd be prepared for at least a few broken bolts.
Good luck.
Jim

Posted on: 2022/7/6 20:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Thought I'd update you guys on my progress since you've been so kind to give me guidance. I pulled the water pump off today, and yes, it was fairly easy. I will tell you though that until I got it off I could not figure out the way the eccentric worked because when it was mounted to the car it was impossible to tell that the collar with the five holes was a separate piece. Anyhow, pump was intact and the shaft seems to rotate easily with no wobble. Therefore, I'm guessing that I've got a clog some place. Here's what I plan to do. Flush the radiator and probably flush the block and see what happens. By the way, it looks like the water flow in the engine comes up to the pump from the bottom radiator hose, then gets pumped out the side through the water jacket and up through the head then out the top hose into the radiator? Is that correct? The water pump gasket is a brass ring. I'm guessing it is low risk to reuse it? I would do the above, and hope that I could identify some sort of flow restriction and rectification. If not, then the water jacket cover.

Thoughts?

Thanks Bill

Posted on: 2022/7/7 15:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Remind me, is your oil cooler is still present and functional? Or has it been removed or inactivated by using a plate to blank off the coolant flow?

If someone blanked off the coolant flow in and out of the cooler and failed to alter the baffling within the water jacket plate, you will have restricted coolant flow to all the rear cylinders. Have we perhaps discussed this before?

Posted on: 2022/7/7 17:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Yes, you are remembering correctly. Somewhere along the line my oil cooler was removed and a plate was mounted to block it off and serve as a mounting point for a kind of Rube Goldberg oil filter...which was subsequently bypassed. I have no idea what the baffle looks like since I have never removed the cover plate.

Posted on: 2022/7/7 22:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved