Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Gear selection window
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Greendragon. Did you have any luck finding the indicator?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Beating this topic to death... I think that I finally figured out what the indicator looks like, the part is illustrated (sort of) 3.308896 part number 439936 and is not a pin or needle at all but rather a strip that wraps around the inside of the steering column and emerges in the window, what makes it move is the tab or gear under the column see attached photos. Does anyone know if I am correct? In the remote chance that I am right, what was it made of and how to made a new one?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.67 KB)
1057_4a4fbb4252a4e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.58 KB)
1057_4a4fbb65b24fa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/4 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't tell exactly what is there since all laying together but looks like 2 pieces might be missing----3.308895 is the clamp which was superceded by a later design and the pointer itself.

You are correct, in that it's basically a wire which wraps around the column. 3.308896 engages with the shifter tube and slides in the slot. There is a clamp which is held on by a screw and the pointer wire fits into a recess on that clamp, wraps around the column and sticks up into the window. It is adjusted by tightening setscrews on the clamp and pinching the wire when pointing correctly. Early ones let the pointer slip which was beefed up in redesign (service counselor article above)

It's been awhile since I looked at one, but IIRC the wire begins with a straight piece going into window with the end slightly flattened & pointed, drops down the amount needed to clear window and starts a semicircle which wraps around column, then at bottom is bent in a sharp right angle to slide into the clamp. Don't remember if the end points at driver or away to engage the clamp. Also might have a slight angle to account for column/window alignment.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.53 KB)
209_4a4fc76a5c237.jpg 384X507 px

Posted on: 2009/7/4 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Been studying that illustration myself for awhile. I have 896, 897 and 898 but what is 895? The main plate 897 has a threaded hole that would hold a set screw for calibration and guessed that something as you described would attach to 896. .

Posted on: 2009/7/4 17:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
895 is the actual clamp. Believe around 1/2 x 3/4" or so. It held by a screw threaded (and maybe a dimple or slot on one end) into the hole you see and the pointer slips into the slot and is held in by a regular screw on the first version and a couple of set screws on the second.
I don't remember the precise actual look of it but seeing the parts manual, something could be fabricated if none is forthcoming. Here is a very crude sketch as to how I remember it but if someone has one available to photograph, would be so much better.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.22 KB)
209_4a4fe7eeedc0f.jpg 870X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/7/4 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH It doesn't look too difficult, the only problem is getting the bend just right in the viewing window. If is just a strip of metal as flexible as a tape measure, it could slide around but would probably pick up a good glob of grease that you'd get to look at for the rest of time. I need to see how much trouble it would be to get at the viewing window to make the bend or clean-up the tip. Thanks for the drawing.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
yes i spotted it, but i need to cut some brush to get into the parts car it's in. hopefully i can get it out for you soon. have spent the last two weeks moving into town so not had any time to do packard stuff. i'll get it asap!

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
GreenDragon Hope you got moved in OK. Breaks my heart to hear about a Packard in the weeds. Does she have a good rearview mirror? Will send a check for shipping/parts Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/12 7:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i don't member. maybe. i'll be down there not this coming weekend, but the one after. i'll get the pointer then, and check the mirror.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Ten Four

Posted on: 2009/7/16 9:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved