Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

UberJohnny, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: removal of axle fill plug
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
put the square side of the socket over the square plug

Posted on: 2009/11/24 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
put the square side of the socket over the square plug

Great suggestion, but the distance between the flats on these plugs is 9/16" so a standard 1/2'' drive socket won't do the trick.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 1:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I was fortunate to pick up a set of square plug sockets for the princely summ of $10. Unfortunately they do not work well on rounded off square plugs.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have a 1/2" 8 point Craftsman socket that fits the 1/2" plugs perfectly, you might buy one of those for the next time, or if you do the trans.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Well that's too bad. My cars have nothing on them but 1/2 or 3/8 square.

By the way the same trick works for Bendix brake adjusters and other square heads. No more rounding them off with open end wrenches and vice grips and you don't have to buy any new tools.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Classic and Exotic has a filler plug for sale. Not sure if it is different than the one supplied by York. The one supplied by York shows a gasket while the Classic and Exotic does not. York is $8 cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
turbo...i went to the hardware store and one of the helpers working there for christmas teaches auto mechanics and has worked for a couple of truck dealerships as a mechanic..
he says like you. find a set of 8pts. or double points as he calls them

he asked if i had torches...i said ...'ahhh no' ..says acetalene gives greater heat to bolt..then he says okay
take your propane..and work the bolt for a couple of minutes.
as it cools take some penetrating oil and squirt it on..the heat he says will naturally draw it into the threads. then og have a beer or a cup of coffee and do it a couple more times more.

I recommended an 8 point ..esp if you have rounded the corners off. as it slips around your rounded corners, the points will dig into the flat. The 8 points are much deeper for grabbing

then he said ..if you really screwed up the flats. slowly take a file and reduce it to 7/16 ..file fit..file ...fit..file ...fit...to expose more of the flat

if that fails..then i usually weld a hex head # 9 on the head of the plug and go from there..

then if all else fails...its drill time which seldom happens using the above method..

Posted on: 2009/11/29 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Try a set of Craftsman Bolt-Outs. If one's large enough it should fit over the square end. They tap on with a hammer and you turn them out with a wrench or socket. I've had good luck with them.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 0:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
yeah i saw them at sears today...hmm

Posted on: 2009/11/30 1:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your Sears helper is on the right track, do what he says and you'll get it out.

On the subject of heat and removing bolts, you can to the same thing with heat and plain cheapie candle wax. The heat draws the wax into the threads, and allows it to come out easily. I do this on head/manifold studs that are a PITA to remove. Better than drilling and re-tapping.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 1:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved