Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 228

DavidPackard, Todd W. White, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Cracked block- how serious is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll second that David M about the valve seats.

I was a bit alarmed some 8 or 10 years ago when i received SS valves from a vendor. At that time i had not ran any SS valves in anything. Urban legend (albeit rather recently) has touted hardened seats for SS valves. Of course we're assuming castiron here not Al heads. They seem to run just fine.

A different engine i've ran for over 40 years every year at speeds alot higher than it was designed for and runs hotter than ANY automobile engine including racing engines got SS valves for the first time about 6 years and 9K miles ago. NO hardened seats. THis engine requires rings and a valve grind about every 5K miles or every time i change the rear tire. So i've had it apart twice in the 6 years for inspection. NO valve recession whatsoever.

The hardened seats are necesary for Al heads or damaged heads. OTherwise the hardened seats are just 'make work' for the machine shop.

BTW the intake valves of the Indian engine set extremely close to the bore even with std bore. I would sure hate to weaken that any at all. I've seem many where the seats cracked over into the bore just due to overheating.

Overheating or other extreme demands can cause any insert to work loose. On the AL heads the hardened seat is locked in during the casting process.

Bottom line, the hardened seats for water cooled, CI, passenger car and lite truck engines is just one more mahine shop 'make work' gimmick on a par with milling every head that comes thru the shop wheather it needs it or not..

Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Highlander160 writes:
" I'm not sure how many know this but nearly all of the inline blocks are CAST STEEL, not the typical CAST IRON"

I find this to be XTREMELY important information. Never heard that claim before. If someone else has stated it then my apologies for such a poor memmory.

I think it is important enuf to start a dedicated thread.

There is a lot of detail to this that i think should be explored further.
Thanks Highlander for the enlightenment.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Thanks to this wonderful place and it's archives you can find that info in the dealer handbooks and in the big Beverly Rae Packard book as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 5:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved