Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

moodydavid16, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: V8 oil Pump ID?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC the Hash pump has SHORTER gears than the Packard/GH pump. So the PI pump would be my preference. NOTE that u indicated: " Assuming they are both within wear specs,..."
I AM assuming that quotation.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 16:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JUst for kicks here are some pics of the various pumps. SCROLL UP to top of page:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7995&forum=3&post_id=85813#forumpost85813

Posted on: 2012/3/3 16:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Thanks Jack & PV8. I cleaned up the Hash pump (sludgy and the relief piston was stuck). It cleaned up nice and the gear to body clearance is .002, gear to base is .004 ...both well within spec according to the 1955-56 shop manual for a Packard pump and I assume that would also be within spec for the Hash.

I should have time to open up the 374 in the next few days and I'll look at the PI 56J pump. It only has a few thousand miles on it tho it has been sitting for several years

Posted on: 2012/3/3 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Measure the gears!!!! IIRC the Hash gears are at least 1/16" SHORTER than the Packard/56J. Maybe 1/8". Otherwise they are identicle.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Packard8 Quote:
I cleaned up the Hash pump (sludgy and the relief piston was stuck).

Good catch! I believe this is the "fatal flaw" in the Packard V-8 oil pump design which causes lifter clatter and later engine failure if it continues.

I'll start a new thread on this when I have all my info and pix together.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/3/3 21:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Measure the gears!!!! IIRC the Hash gears are at least 1/16" SHORTER than the Packard/56J. Maybe 1/8". Otherwise they are identicle.

Will do & post the results.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
Packard8 Quote:
I cleaned up the Hash pump (sludgy and the relief piston was stuck).

Good catch! I believe this is the "fatal flaw" in the Packard V-8 oil pump design which causes lifter clatter and later engine failure if it continues.

I'll start a new thread on this when I have all my info and pix together.

Craig

Yes, that sort of surprised me as the bottom end of the motor looks fairly clean. The relief piston was frozen closed and I had to tap it out with a drift..not sure if that would starve the lifters??? Wire wheeled the piston and cleaned the bore with a brass rifle brush. Lubed and reassembled it and it works smoothly now. Also there is a passage between the 2 chambers in the base of the pump (intended to lube the gears?) and it was completely blocked with sludge.

This motor was set up with the road draft tube connected via a rubber hose to the oil filler tube....a "closed loop" system guaranteed to sludge up an engine! I'm changing that so the road draft hose is directed to the flame arrestor (air cleaner) and the vapor will be burned off.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The critical pump spec is the INPUT SHAFT to pump body clearence. IIRC manual indicates .004" MAX. And that .004 is probably very generous based on my analysis for the PACKARD V8 pump. Also watch for excessive wear on the shaft directly at the top of the gear. The Hash will most likely show no wear while the Packard and 56J pump WILL show wear.

Personally i would NOT alter the road draft tube in any way from OEM design whatsoever.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Refresh my memmory. Are u building this engine for a car or boat???

Posted on: 2012/3/4 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Refresh my memmory. Are u building this engine for a car or boat???

The engine is a marine conversion. Re the road draft tube, it was altered from the original design.... instead of venting under the car they routed crankcase gasses back into the oil filler tube. I assume this was done so the fumes would not build up in the bilge or engine doghouse. I have changed this so the fumes are recycled thru the carb and expelled out the exhaust.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 9:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved