Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Dan's 55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Dan,

I agree with you, get it running and driving. I see you will have help with the lower stainless, and wheel cleaning!

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
hi Dan,

Sweet! The car, too...

Let me answer what I can....I have some knowledge and experience (mine's a '54), I'll leave the really hard stuff for the others.

First, I really do like Kanter...if you order online you get free shipping, and they give you 10% starting at $500. And in the 20 years or so I've had my car and been doing business with them, they have always provided good support and really quality parts 100% of the time. I cannot say that for the *other* dedicated parts providers.

Oil: You're right that everyone might have their own opinions, but today's oil is like rocket fuel compared to the single weight, non detergent stuff they used back in the '50's and '60's, so as long as you use a good, dino based brew in the viscosity range originally recommended you're OK. Drop the pan and clean all the goo out, I recommend and use Rotella T 15w-40..it's a bit thicker and has a higher detergency which is good for older engines that haven't been apart...original rings allow more blow by, so you want a bit more detergency to help neutralize that. And, the slightly thicker oil isn't as likely to blow thru as well and burn.

Oil bath air cleaner: I'd recommend you wash the assembly in a automotive grease/oil solvent and allow to air dry. The filter themselves are quite sturdy (and effective!), and as long as it's been sitting in oil (regardless of how old) it should clean up fine. Unless the specs have changed from '54, about 1/2 qt. of 20w-50 in the bowl should fill it, there should be a line there that says 'fill'.

Enjoy! The car, too..lol

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:27
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Once you get it running, resist the urge to pit it in gear. Gotta sort out the brakes. While you are doing the oil pan, might as well drop the trans pan as well.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 17:34
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved