Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Re: Joe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You could also have an original starter rewound for 12v if authenticity is an issue but in this case I doubt it is!

Posted on: 2023/5/9 14:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Joe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
A tough way to start a trip but you are certainly not the first to have this happen. Fortunately you did not have the large gear reduction starters used with the 356 and there was a simple and readily available option for replacement. Did the small starter bolt right up and does it turn the engine decently?

If it is satisfactory, since original Packard starters are getting more expensive and harder to come by, if the mini starter seems to work well maybe it should be recommended as a part of the changeover rather than just having the original starter modified for 12v operation. Might even be easier to find and cheaper than the cost of the mod and a new 12v solenoid.

Good point!!! I second this notion.

e/t/a: Here's the link for Vintage with the Packard starter:

https://vintageautogarage.com/packard-1935-1938-gear-reduction-starter-12-volts-9160-080gr/

"Fits: Packard 1935-1954. Model 115, 120, 120B, 120C, 1601, 1602 Straight 8"

So I don't know if it fits the later monoblocs as well.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 18:57
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Re: Joe's '49 Club Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
An interesting situation with the installation of the 12V VAG starter. Had to change the starter switch from ground activation of the solenoid to positive battery. Got it all wired and hit the starter button and got nothing. It was wired right but testing with a voltmeter showed a significant voltage drop across the original ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch an new, non-original, 4-terminal ignition switch but kept the push button starter switch. Everything works fine. One side effect of the switch change is the fact that the engine now starts instantly without a long cranking. It's not cranking any faster just almost before you can get your finger off the button the engine starts. The car has Pertronix ignition replacing the points and condenser and the voltage drop at the switch might have been messing with ignition until the alternator upped the voltage, it's not single wire but wired for full voltage at low RPMs. This could be one of the many reasons people have trouble with Pertronix conversions.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 13:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Joe's '49 Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packard51
See User information
These were the best of the styling-smooth!!!

Posted on: 2/9 9:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved