Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 217

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, Jack Vines, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As far as I know, the small shield mounted on the carb is black, the large one is engine color.
Double click on the picture pac56Caribbeantwoheatshields.jpg and click again to enlarge it. The shields are seen easily then.

Posted on: 2015/1/19 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks, Randy!

I checked my old pics, before I started messing with the car, and it turns out that it did have that clamp that holds the heater hose to the front of the passenger's side engine head.... now I just need to find out where did I put it! ;-(

Attach file:

jpg  (173.76 KB)
1141_54bdc0ed477ea.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (180.65 KB)
1141_54bdc10152713.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/1/19 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Sorry for so much questions but, when I amplify the pic the shows the shields, it seems to me that the small shield that helps cover the choke would be held with one screw only, probably on the tab formed by the cut and bent 'ear' that is formed and through which surely a hole is drilled. If I am correct, the tab could be held by one of the upper carburetor screws (the one in the corner closest to the choke, near the center of the pic)... or is it held also by one of the larger nuts on the carb base (the one closest)?

Either a pic or a good description or measurements would help a lot!

The pic is this carburetor area I am referring to...

Attach file:

jpg  (94.33 KB)
1141_54bdc234873e2.jpg 768X768 px

Posted on: 2015/1/19 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The choke heat shield attaches via the carburetor float bowl cover screw.

Posted on: 2015/1/20 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I've looked for more detailed pics with no luck, but I will try to replicate them based on what I can see.

Thanks!
Victor

Posted on: 2015/1/22 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe this picture will help, you can see both heat shields, especially the lower half of the choke shield with the cutout where the tab is folded inward for the screw hole and the left lower corner cut on a bias to clear the fuel line fitting. Upper portion (not shown) retains rectangular shape with very slightly rounded corners. You can estimate the width of it from the surrounding details.

I believe this photo is from Dwight Heinmuller's 5699. I'd take my choke shield off and measure for you but mine is a replica I made by copying someone else's and it would be best if you got dimensions from an original.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.03 KB)
177_54c16da662281.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/1/22 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks a lot! The pic does help, but also knowing it is Dwight's car helps! He is a good friend, so I will email him for further details, if needed.

Thanks again!
victor

Posted on: 2015/1/22 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I contacted Dwight and he was gracious enough to use his shields and have his metal guy make a set for me... so if any of you guys need a set, it could work out to call him.

The work looks great!

Attach file:

jpg  (40.06 KB)
1141_54cbf1b0198e6.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (45.16 KB)
1141_54cbf1cd798a9.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2015/1/30 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I questioned the guy that painted the engine bay about the missing clamp for the heater hose on the head, and... voila! He had it! He says he didn't remember where it went, nor 3 other clamps!!! At least, he kept them in a box for me. It is the upper one in the pic. One of them with a very little bend (second one), appears to have been soldered to something a tube, probably transmission or oil... but I don't know. The two little ones at the bottom, I don't have a clue either. Any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (63.11 KB)
1141_54cbf8eedfbf5.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2015/1/30 16:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're interested in a few other details:

Looks like you're missing the top covers for your two air filter pods. Also the generator bracket should be reversed so that the fixed end is on the generator and the slotted end on the engine. You also might check with Joel Ray, he may have the rubber strip for the generator regulator terminals. Battery ground cable should be a woven flat strap and tucked under the hold down bracket, not an insulated cable.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 16:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved