Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

Mike Chirco, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hi Thanks for that. yes I think are get it on the car lift and drop the sump. Are drop the gear box and rear diff as well. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/4 14:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you haven't downloaded them, there is a 1941 Clipper body notes supplement expanding on differences between the Clipper and conventional bodies. On the literature page, if you select the View by Year listing at the bottom of the page, under 1941 it is item 13 in the page that opens. Item 30 is a 41-49 engine manual which has service info on the prewar engines. The content in both manuals is substantially the same as in the postwar 46-50 service manual but does have a bit more depth on some prewar specific items.

In the Wire Diagram section are factory wiring diagrams for the 41 and 42 Clipper. Packard factory info gives colors and sizes etc but the following of wiring can be a bit difficult -- particularly if it is a poor copy. The A.E.A. diagrams found under wiring on the main PAC sitehttp://www.packardclub.org do not have wire size info but the layout is much easier to follow.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 15:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello

Many Thanks for that.

Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/4 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I am not saying that this will definitely work, but I think it may be worth considering. I am not 100% certain, but I have heard that the plastic pieces on the 1941/42 Packards were Bakelite, which, as you know, slowly disintegrates over the years. In the past 25 years or so, the composition of plastics have greatly improved. And with the advent of 3-D printing, there is the distinct possibility of recreating parts for our cars using superior materials, while maintaining the integrity of the design.

Here is an article regarding the use of 3-D printing in the restoration of a 1927 Miller race car:

http://geekbobber.blogspot.com/2013/10/3d-printing-1927-miller-91-race-car.html

I think this new technology might be very helpful to you. At the very least, it is worth exploring.

Good luck with your great Clipper!

Craig

Posted on: 2016/8/4 15:35
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Thanks for the info.

On a nother note I need two front glasses for the front side lights, I have the chrome surrounds but thats it, I will also need the rubber seals if there were any. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/5 7:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is where you need to be sure which year you have. The 41 uses one part number for the parking light lens for the 1951 body style and the 42-47 Clipper models (2000 etc series and 2100 etc) use another number. They are real glass lenses but I do not know offhand what the difference between them might be or if the later lens will fit the 41. Vendors should have them but if not, there is a single 42-7 lens on ebay now and they do seem to come up for sale quite often. 48-50 look similar but will not work.

AFAIK no one makes the gasket between the lens and front bezel for the 41-7 parking lights. 48-50 gaskets are repro'd but those won't fit the earlier assys. I made my own out of a sheet of 1/8 or roughly 3mm thick closed cell foam rubber.

One thing to note if the sides get mixed up when you take them apart. The housings, bezels and lenses look identical side to side and they are. They will fit either side but there is just the slightest difference in spacing for screw holes end to end on the pieces. IIRC, about 3mm. That means if you swap sides you also have to rotate 180 for the screw holes to line up. I found that out wanting to place the best surface on the bezel in the more visible spot. Thought I could do that by keeping them on the same side and turning them upside down. Not so..

Posted on: 2016/8/5 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for that, I did buy one set off ebay thinking they would fit but no joy. Although mine has 41 on the pinkslip i beleave its a 42 model. Any idea of the part number for the lenses that i need. I have done some more work on the car today in that i managed to pull the rear hubs with my set of pullers and boy they were on tight, proberly not bee off for years. It was all in pretty good order. I removed the wheel cylinders from both sides in readyness for the new ones, i have also got to make up some new brake lines but i have all the kit to do that and the correct unions.Are take some more pics. I basically want to gwt all the mechanics done so i can give it a drive, then decide wether i run it as an oily rag car, or strip it right down lift the body off and start from the chassis up.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the parking light info and screw sizes. The various 2000 series numbers are the different 42 models

Attach file:

jpg  (71.33 KB)
209_57a4db273c75f.jpg 950X660 px

Posted on: 2016/8/5 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello I have done more today, I managed to get the front hubs off and strip out the brakes and give the back plate a good clean. Just waiting for the new parts to arrive from the USA.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hi My engine No is E308974C, how do I find out weather its a 356 engine or not, as i need to get a water pump. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/8/6 13:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved