Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
The unit was redone about 8 months ago. Maybe they should change the article to get a rebuild every 6 months

Posted on: 2009/11/14 1:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 2:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric asks:
"That's what needs to be analyzed."

That's an easy one. It's called a Dash Plaque.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 10:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
That says it all.End of subject.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 12:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Here it the article for what its worth.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.95 KB)
553_4afeeb215dbf2.jpg 1021X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/11/14 12:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Brian51. Excellent article and well written by what appears to be an author with good objective experience.

I think a reasonalbe person would take that article well to heart. In my opinion it is a subtle tho nonetheless strong suggestion to abandon the BTV.

3 to 5 year replacement/rebuild schedule is simply not acceptable.

However, i am amazed that correction to the seal wearing that fast, as mentioned in the article, has not been corrected with some modern replacement. Also somekind of atmosphereic seal as found on modern master cylinders since about 1969 should also be part of the correction/update for the BTV.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 14:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard34. Read the above article that Brians51 posted. NOTE THAT IT INDICATES FLUID SUCKED FRoM THE MASTER CYLINDER.

Please caefully check the VACUUM POWER CANnister of your unit to see if it has brake fluid INSIDE of it and measure amount if possible.

BEFORE disassembly check near the bottom of the unit precisely where the master cylin der mates to the power unit. Check for brake fluid haveing leaked from that mateing surface area. Any leaked brake fluid should be evident EXTERNALY near the BOTTOM mating surface where the master cylinder mates to the power unit.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 15:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I must say that for something as serious as a brake failure, I'm suprised at the lack on intellectual curiousity by some who ordinarily show a good grasp of mechanical devices to want to know the cause of the failure, amd if the TV, what failed. For those who may want to keep their cars authentic, this information would be far more valuable than all the passionate chatter. Reminds me of "don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind". As rebuilders and sellers of TVs rarely have a return, there is something yet to be learned here and having a closed mind doesn't add to the world's knowledge. My last words on this aspect of this topic.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 16:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Reminds me of "don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind".

<p>The irrefutable FACT is that the BTV fails totally, completely and without warning, putting all at risk. Given that FACT from personal experience as well as the experience of many others I have personally talked with, I indeed have made up my mind to replace the dreaded BTV with something vastly safer.</p>

Quote:
As rebuilders and sellers of TVs rarely have a return (snip)
<p>Who says that is true? I have 3 rebuilt BTVs from 3 different rebuilders that I would not wish on my worst enemy. So, I'm supposed to return it to the rebuilder so he can "fix" it and foist this dangerous device on to an unsuspecting future customer? Not on your life! For my part, I've taken them out of circulation permanently.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/14 17:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved