Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Grandpa's '28 526 - The good, The bad, and the Ugly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
that is the only such box on the car. The flexible tubing goes to the rear, and to the passenger side as well. From memory, 4-5 total wires are in this type conduit

Posted on: 2011/11/27 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I think I can say for sure that you are not supposed to have metal conduit or junction boxes in your car. Was your grandfather an electrician? I've found some similar hokey repairs in my car as well. Someone got sick of the running boards rattling on my car so they were welded to the fenders. The other side of the car had an oak running board which was wood screwed to the fenders. What are your plans with the motor? I have just had my second engine builder give up on mine and am looking for a new machinist.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What kind of problems made him give up on your engine???

Posted on: 2011/11/27 19:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Not an electrician. I can't imagine why someone would put that box there. It is waaay inaccesible when together, why not just fix it properly? This motor will power this car again! Even if economical suicide to do so. I am lucky to live in Carlisle, PA, near the home to 2,400,000 engine builders, and some even come highly recommended by people that I have utmost faith in! Now if only money grew in the nearby fields, I would have this done in a month!

Posted on: 2011/11/27 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are shops that routinely rebuild these engines, probably one of the best in western New Jersey. There is nothing unusually challenging about anything except dealing with the crankshaft counterweights. Those restoration shops that I know of that specialize in engines of this era usually take on the milling out of the retaining bolts on the counterweights, send the shaft out for grinding, and then reattach the weights, usually having to make the special bolts required.

Like PackardV8, I'd be curious what problems your rebuilders have had.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
My first engine builder gave up when he had to have knee surgery done and the second just gave up because he does it as a hobby and his real job has started taking up too much of his time. My engine has spent the last year and a half in two different shops and the only work performed has been a cylinder re-bore. Ray, being in New England you'll probably have better luck. It seems that most of Detroits talent has moved away. I don't want to Hijack Rays build thread so if anyone knows a good machinist in the Detroit area please e-mail me or write on my build thread.
Thanks
Todd

Posted on: 2011/11/27 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check with some local back alley type motorcycle shops for recommendations of an engine builder. The 20-somethings building rats and driffters often know some of the best places in the area. Usually catch them in the evenings at coffee shops or tattoo parlours or where ever u see a group of them hangingout.

Posted on: 2011/11/27 22:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I have got confirmation from 2 independent sources, (both of whom have senior winning cars) that the junction box is not only absolutely correct, but that the reproduction wiring harness do not include the ends, so they are sought after. But, it still looks odd!

Posted on: 2011/11/28 22:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very interesting, and thanks for following up with more information. I really need to learn more about that vintage Packard.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

WAY OFF topic, but one of the interesting things to me was when the electrified a house with original gas lamps, when the did ceiling lamps the wires were run thru the original gas pipe in the ceiling plaster.

My house, built in 1907, has both the gas pipes and the knob & tube as they installed combination gas/electric fixtures when they built it. Handy in a power outage.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 3:39
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved