Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As PeterPackard indicates the left exhaust can present alot of problems. But since yours was removed some 2 years ago it mite come off rather easy. Look at the service manual. It describes what is needed toremove the oil pan. I would NOT consider it an easy job unless everything is NOT rusted and the exhaust is easy to remove.

As for the snake oils they do have merit in some cases especialy of unkown history/hi mileag/symptomatic/ older engines.

Look. Just do the easy things first. In order of EZ:
1. over fill crankcase by 1 FULL qt.
2. try a snake oil as recommended by BH.
3. replumb oil filter.
4. installa MECHANICAL oil pressure gauge.

If none of those work (HEY!!! THEY"RE EZ TO DO!!) then pull the pan.

Note that i have pulled the pan on my 56 Exec at least 15 times over the last 12 years or so. I've never needed a car lift other than a regular floor jack.

Done it so any times i finally made a 2-piece oil pan.

TRY the EZ things FIRST!!!

Posted on: 2011/8/30 7:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U mentioned that your car CURRENTLY has the PI pump installed???? IF so then it does NOT have the vacuum pump either!!!!

Do the wipers stop working when u climb a long hill or under hard acceleration???? IF so then u are already operating withOUT a vacuum pump anyway.

The vacuum wipers operate from 2WO DIFFERETN SOURCES of vacuum. The vacuum pump on the oil pump is is ony an AUXILARY pump for when engine looses vacuum under heavy load.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 7:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen.
So does all of this now mean that u have the AC and Alternator installed and working on your car???

Posted on: 2011/8/30 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I have emailed Jack Vines, but have yet to hear from him.
For whatever reason, my outbox shows a reply sent same day. Here's the latest.

Packard oiling system parts:

Packard Engineering Second Design Cam Retainer Plate and Spacer - should be installed whenever the front cover is removed from a '55-early '56 Packard V8 - $75

Packard Engineering Oil Pump Relief Valve Dump Tube - $25
Re-Manufactured Packard Oil Pump - Vacuum Pump replaced by a ?" cast iron bottom plate and triple the bearing area - $350

Oldsmobile V8 Oil Pump Conversion Kit - $210
Oldsmobile V8 Standard Duty Oil Pump and Pickup - $100
Oldsmobile V8 High Volume Oil Pump and Pickup - $150

Reground camshaft, standard or higher performance - $125 exchange

NOS Johnson lifters - $10

Neoprene Rear Main Seal - $25
Re-enforced Front Balance Damper and Neoprene Seal - $100 and exchange of your damper.

Intake valves - $10

Completely rebuilt 352" V8 long block - $2995

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/30 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It is about 2:00 pm here in Chicago and this website is running painfully slow.

That said, thank you Jack for the info, which is fascinating. It sounds like some of these parts would apply more to a complete overhaul than just replacement of the oil pump.

Ideally, I would have the motor rebuilt completely, balanced and generally made quite a bit better than new.

Now for reality.

What do I need just to change oil pumps? What would you anticipate as the amount of time likely to be needed for such a job?

Is there a big di9fference between the PI fix and the Olds pump?

Answers to other questions/comments.

The oil pump was replaced about two years ago by the previous owner. If the required removing the left exhaust, I presume it was done--but I have no direct knowledge of that.

As to the PI pump, that was what I was told. Even though Ficken did the motor, it is reluctant at best and completely uninterested when going up an incline of any kind. The wide/narrow part works well, FWIW.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 14:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
patgreen Quote:
Is there a big di9fference between the PI fix and the Olds pump?

Night and day. The "fixed PI pump" is just that, a repair on a barely adequate 55YO oil pump. The Olds pump is a new (with tight tolerances) HIGH VOLUME oil pump -- if you choose the Olds HV, which I recommend -- with tight, factory original clearances. there is no comparison.

While I was making these adapters, I had 60+ satisfied customers. In other words, their bearing clearances were OK, but the pump "went away". After installing the Olds HV oil pump and adapter kit (that I had made for me by a retired mechanic, since deceased, now turned over to Jack Vines -- thanks Jack!), the clacking lifter problem and other low oil pressure problems went away.

Judge for yourself.

Also, I don't agree that changing out the oil pump is such a big deal. I don't understand why removal of a exhaust manifold is necessary since one can just unbolt the head pipe. Also, the front lower valance can stay in place. But, to each his own. Make it as hard or simple as necessary.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack vines $10 intake valves and $3K 352 long block has got to be the best bargains i;ve seen in years across ANY vintage offerings of any make or model of vehicle.

He has a good presentation here at P'info.com too. Quite frankly i doubt that i could overhaul one myself any better or less expensive unless i got damned lucky.

As for Patgreens question about the PI pump vs Olds:
IIRC as of about 7 years ago PI advertised:
"We do not rebuild the pump, we redesign it".

As i understand it and anyone pls correct me if iam wrong but that statement is to be taken literally.
IT MEANS that whatever u send PI will be returned IN THE SAME CONDITION as u sent it EXCEPT that an appedage has ben added to the bottom of the pump and the vacuum pump eleminated. WHICh MEANS that ANY WEAR in the pump will still be there in the pump when u recieve it back.

The advantage of the Olds conversion is that u get (or i suppose can buy seperately on your own) a BRAND NEW pump. That is a PUMP that is BRAND NEW in every sense of the term BRAND new meaning that there are NO used parts nor remanunufatured parts in the pump in any way shape form or fashion. Brand new pump MEANS BRAND NEW. BRand new by a BRAND NAME HIGHLY RECOGNIZED COMPANY such as MElling.

I don't know how to make it any more clear or specific than that. IF someone else can explain it better then go ahead.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Keith: You beat me to it!

I will say one thing: there is no comparison in flow volume between the original Packard oil pump and the (350HP-455CID) Olds High volume oil pump. Ask BigKev as he saw the difference when we all visited Paul in N.LV.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF u buy the Olds pump on your own be sure to look at the bottom of the pump. When u turn the shaft at the top u should be able to see the end of the shaft turning at the bottom of the pump. If not then it is not the heavy duty pump.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
IF u buy the Olds pump on your own be sure to look at the bottom of the pump. When u turn the shaft at the top u should be able to see the end of the shaft turning at the bottom of the pump. If not then it is not the heavy duty pump.

Keith: that's "High Volume", not "heavy duty". Big difference. Your point about the "see the end of the shaft turning at the bottom of the pump" is true, but that's because (as you know) there's a bearing on the bottom where the shaft comes thru the bottom of the plate.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/30 18:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved